Chapter 59: Not here, not now

I sat cross legged on my mattress, hugging my pillow tight to my chest.

"Ashido... how the hell are you so energetic? Aren't you sleepy or anything?"

"Not at all! And you're the best!"

I tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

"You wore the pyjamas!"

I glanced at the other girls. "Why didn't anyone stop her?"

"Hey!"

"We tried."

I couldn't help but laugh a little at Jiro's expression.

"Are you alright?"

"Hmm?"

"You looked sad when we got back. Did something happen?"

"I... don't worry about it."

"Why shouldn't we?" Yaoyorozu pointed out. "You said that about your scar too."

I didn't know what to say to that.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out."

Was all I said.

Then I turned my back on them, lying down on my side.

~

5:30 is way too early a time to wake up.

Even though I had been exhausted, I didn't sleep very well.

How was Mr. Aizawa awake?

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen."

I blinked sleepily in reply, stretching my arms and scrubbing the heel of my hand across my face as he continued.

"Today, we will begin training camp to increase your strength in earnest. The goal of this training camp is to increase everyone's strength and with that, for everyone to obtain their provisional licences. It is to prepare you all to face hostilities that are becoming more real by the minute. Proceed carefully. So Bakugo," he tossed him a ball, "try throwing that."

"This is from the fitness test..."

"Your previous record, from right after you started school, was 705.2 metres. Let's see how much you've improved."

"Oh, we're checking our progress?"

"Since a lot has happened these past three months, huh?"

Bakugo walked forward, and winded up for his throw.

"Maybe he can throw it a kilometre or something now!"

"Do it, Bakugo!"

"Then... here I go... go to hell!"

Huh. It wasn't "DIE" this time...

He threw the ball, and the explosion caused a wave of wind to blow in our faces.

"709.6 metres."

What?!

"Huh? It's less than I thought..."

The expression on Bakugo's face was priceless; a cross between disbelief, shock, and rage.

"It's been about three months since you started high school. Through various experiences, you all have definitely improved. But that improvement has mainly been at the mental and technical levels, with some increase in stamina. As you can see, your quirks themselves have not improved that much. That's why we will work on improving your quirks, starting today."

He grinned in an unnerving fashion. "It'll be so hard you'll feel like dying," he raised a finger, "but try not to actually die..."

I could feel the tension and excitement emanating from everyone.