Chapter 48: Got him

*IF YOU DIDN'T VOTE LAST CHAPTER—please go back and vote*

As I had predicted, Kirishima and Sato lost. However, Asui and Tokoyami managed to pass, and so did Iida and Ojiro.

And now it was our turn, to go against Mr. Aizawa.

Our exam location was what looked like a suburban area, with lots of houses and small streets.

"It's our turn. Let's go."

I nodded.

"What was the plan you had in mind?"

"I'll distract Mr. Aizawa, while you run for the exit. I want you to keep giving me emotions to tell when Mr. Aizawa can see us."

"That's it?"

"That's all you need to know."

The buzzer went off. "Team Todoroki and (L/N), practical exam. Ready, go!"

We began running through the streets, and I continued giving and taking back a small bit of cooperativeness.

It was a feeling that I didn't think would distract too much.

If I gave and took away a positive feeling like happiness, it would continually feel like we were losing happiness, and if it was a negative emotion, we'd feel like we were gaining it.

This was not quite as distracting.

"This exam will depend on who finds the other first. Once we can see him, I'll distract him. And you'll run."

I feel like he's underestimating me. 

We had stopped at a corner, but we were soon running again.

"Let me know if you experience anything strange with your quirk."

"Of course."

We ran for a while, and I tried to concentrate on giving and taking the emotion.

It was hard to consistently send so little, and take the same exact amount back.

Running at the same time wasn't helping.

And neither was Todoroki.

He seemed tense, and was acting cold.

It must have something to do with what Endeavour said to him this morning. I remember that they were yelling...

Then I stopped, realizing... "Todoroki...?"

He stopped as well, a little ways in front of me.

"My quirk... isn't working!"

From somewhere above us, came Mr. Aizawa's voice. "If you realize that, then you should immediately start acting!"

He dropped down in between us, and I froze.

"In this case, you should prioritize evasion since I stole a march on you."

Todoroki spun a kick, eyes darting to me for barely a second.

"Run!"

I did as he said.

This feels wrong.

I ran a couple blocks, before slipping around a corner, hiding in the shadows.

Mr. Aizawa seemed pretty confident.

Had he expected this?

Straining my ears, I heard a clattering noise.

What was that?