Chapter 34: Surrender

"It's time for the last match before the much awaited finals! This is a battle that the two of them have most likely been waiting for! These two tied for first place in our practical exam! From the hero course, it's Katsuki Bakugo! Versus! Also from the hero course, (Y/N) (L/N)!"

I adjusted my position.

If I wasn't serious in any of the other battles, I was now.

I let my eyes flick up for a second to where I knew our class was.

I could see the tension written on their faces, along with their excitement, determination, and curiosity.

My eyes landed on Todoroki. He was staring at me.

He sent me an encouraging smile, and I winked in return.

His face tinted pink.

There were cheers as the crowd waited. One stood out to me in particular.

"You got this, (Y/N)! Kick his *ss!"

A small smile graced my lips.

"Start!"

Bakugo set off explosions, heading towards me quickly.

I dodged to the side, sliding behind him.

But he turned around in an instant, sending an explosion towards me.

I stepped in close to him, and bent backwards to avoid most of the explosion.

I twisted and straightened, before flipping him over his arm.

In midair, upside down, he sent an explosion towards me with one hand and towards the ground with the other hand.

I had already moved back enough to avoid the blast, but his shot to the ground was huge, and the air filled with dust.

My second eyelids snapped over my eyes, and my sight sharpened.

But I still couldn't see sh*t.

Where was he?

"Bakugo has created a smoke screen! But what's going on down there?"

I saw the dust shift nearby, and sensed a flash of emotion.

I dived out of the way just in time.

A huge explosion went off where I had just been standing. Creating even more dust.

I can use this to my advantage.

In theory, I can sense where Bakugo is by where his emotions are coming from.

But I wouldn't be able to tell which direction he was facing, so I'd have to be careful.

I followed the potent combination of determination and anger that made up Bakugo's usual demeanour.

As I got close, I dropped to the ground, crawling slowly in my belly.

Perfect. His back was to me.

I sprung to my feet, bringing my arms around to catch him as I hooked a leg around his ankles and took them out from under him.

I caught him by the wrists, and forced the palms of his hand to lie —fingertips down— on the sides of his face.

Holding them in place, with my shoulders under his arms and my forearms parallel to his sides. At any moment I could push upward to create a painful pressure that he would have to go onto his tiptoes to attempt to avoid.

"Any explosion you try will blow your f*cking face off."

The dust cleared.

"(L/N) seems... to have trapped Bakugo!"