Chapter 31: The scars that remain

I walked through the halls.

I wanted to be ready early for my fight against Tokoyami.

I had planned to stop by Recovery Girl's temporary office before getting ready, but decided to do so later. I knew a lot of people would be dropping by at the moment.

I had plenty of time because they were repairing the damage done by the last match.

I pressed my back against the hallway wall, letting my head drop back.

If I panicked during this match... lost control at any moment... it could end up incredibly dangerous.

Who knew what might happen with Dark Shadow?

My eyes slid shut.

I had to control myself.

And I had to be careful.

Tokoyami was attentive. If Awase had been able to guess my attachment to my gloves with the little time he had known me, then Tokoyami would have definitely noticed.

It was relatively safe to say that the reveal of my left arm definitely helped kill off some suspicions, I'm sure some people won't be convinced quite so easily.

And if the sliver of chance that my parents were watching was reality...

I couldn't afford to lose my gloves.

"Monster!"

I pressed my eyes shut tighter.

"Demon!"

My breathing quickened, and I tried to stop the memory from returning.

One that I fought so hard to suppress.

"Manipulative b*tch!"

I could feel the memory dragging me down into its depths.

"N-no... please!"

It was like a whirlpool, sending me in circles, but so fast that I couldn't concentrate, that I didn't know what I was doing anymore.

"There won't be any more problems with them seeing that monstrosity of an arm you have!"

Their laughter echoed around in my head, loudly. It taunted me with the joy that rang from the sound. If I hadn't known better, I would think that someone had been told a particularly funny joke, or just did something ridiculous with their friends.

That they were having innocent fun.

"They'll just get to see the scars that remain!"

I couldn't feel the wall behind my back anymore, and I fell backwards, falling deep into the nightmare that was reality.

I pulled desperately, writhing and trying to twist free of the hands that held me.

"N-no... don't..."

"Why not?"

"I-I..."

"Exactly."

"Pl-ease!" I hiccuped.

"Aw... who are you to tell your parents what to do?"

Her tone went from sugary-sweet to sharp and stone-cold.

"M-mom..."

"Shut up!" She shrieked. Pain shot through my face as she slapped me.

"But—"