Chapter 40: This'll be tons of fun!

"You all have your costumes, right?"

We were at the train station, about to leave for our internships.

I had a small, (F/C) bag slung over one shoulder, and the box carrying my costume tucked under one arm.

"Remember, you aren't allowed to wear them in public. Don't drop them or anything."

"Yessir!" Ashido said cheerfully.

"Speak clearly! It's 'yes, sir,' Ashido."

She deflated. "Yes, sir..."

"Make sure you mind your manners with the heroes at your internships! Off with you, now."

"Yes, sir!"

Everyone seemed excited. I was just hoping I chose the right agency...

~

I looked up at the building.

It was bigger than I expected...

But I didn't know what I had been expecting in the first place, but this... wasn't exactly it.

I took a breath, and entered the building.

And was immediately attacked with a hug.

"There you are! I was wondering when you would arrive!"

"O-oh, um... hello. I'm not late, am I?"

"Nope! Just in time! Get into your costume and head up to meet me in my office on the top floor."

"Of course."

"You're a bit of a down-in-the-dumps kind of girl, are you? Don't worry, this'll be tons of fun!"

I smiled, and left to change in the washroom.

It was a little slower than usual, as I changed the design of my costume slightly and it was a little different to put on.

It felt odd to wear something like this, even though I hadn't changed it very much.

I glanced at the elevator, before opening the door to the stairs.

After climbing up a few floors, I was at the top.

Her door was open, but before I could knock regardless, she called, "Come in!"

"I hope I didn't take too long..."

"You took forever! You were snail-paced!" She glimpsed my expression of slight horror, and burst into laughter. "I'm just kidding with you."

"Right..."

"Anyway, why don't we play a quick question game? I'll go first!"

I stared in surprise. She was so... spontaneous.

I didn't regret my decision to choose her though. Not yet.

Smile Hero: Ms. Joke's Hero Agency.

"Now, why did you choose to accept my request?"

"Well... there were multiple reasons. One was the similarity between our quirks, which I thought you could give me tips with. Another was the type of fighting style and heroing that you did. And then there was your personality..."

She nodded for me to continue.

"Your quirk is all about laughter and happiness, and so are you. So I was hoping you could help me a little bit there..."

"Okay, your turn now! Ask me a question!"

"Um... why did you decide to send in a request for me?"