Chapter 21: And then begin

Originally Posted: May 1, 2020

Edited: April 26, 2021

~

First Person

The days passed quickly as we all worked hard, doing our best to ensure we were in the best shape possible for the Sports Festival. I split my free time between working at the Development Studio with Hatsume —who I had recently taken to calling Kikai-chan— and training with my quirk.

(In the author's note at the bottom, I explain what "kikai" means)

Last night had been another one of many sleepless nights, and I was determined that I would not allow the night before the Festival to continue the streak. I had to be properly rested to perform at my best. I was tempted to give Hatsume a call, but melatonin would be what worked best for something like this.

Then all that would be left would be falling asleep,and waking up to find what a big day like tomorrow holds for me.

~

I was tugging uncomfortably at the longer gloves that I wore with my gym uniform, listening to the conversation that drifted towards me, when Iida burst into the waiting room. "Everyone, are you ready?"

As ready as I'll ever be. So... no. Not at all.

"We will be entering soon!" He informed us all.

"Midoriya," Todoroki addressed.

"Todoroki, what is it?" Midoriya asked.

Already a few ears were tuning in to their newly-begun conversation. Mine included.

"Looking at things objectively, I think I'm stronger than you," he stated, looking down at Midoriya.

"Huh!?" Midoriya sounded as confused as we all were feeling, as he agreed, "Y-yeah...?"

"But... All Might has his eye on you, doesn't he? I'm not trying to pry about that. But I'm going to beat you."

Midoriya's eyes widened, and he took in a sharp breath as Todoroki stared stonily at him.

"Oh? Is the best in the class making a declaration of war?" Kaminari observed, as a way to diffuse the tension.

"Hey, hey, hey! Why are you picking a fight all of a sudden? Not now, we're about to start," Kirishima admonished Todoroki.

"He's right, Todoroki," I concurred. "That was uncalled for. If you really felt the need to say such a thing, you could have done it privately."

"We're not here to play at being friends—" He began, but I wasn't listening.

"We're not here to make enemies either. Heroes don't declare war against other heroes, whether in-training or not. You want to be a hero? Keep that in mind. Good heroes are trustworthy, and a friend to all." I cut him off, and his surprise was a potent thing in the air.

There was a moment of silence, before Midoriya took the chance to assure Todoroki that there was no way he'd go down without a fight— even if he was objectively weaker.

There was a silence after Midoriya's admittance, and his return of the declaration.

Then most of the class began to cheer. Once it died down, Midoriya turned to me. "(L/N)... I never asked you, but... why do you want to become a hero?"

I smiled softly. "Someone once told me, when I grow up, to become the person I needed the most as a child."

I let them fill in the blank themselves, as I left the room.