Chapter 28: We aren't giving up

Originally Posted: May 5-7, 2020

Edited: July 1, 2021

~

"Is Hatsume someone who'd do that?"

I glanced over at Midoriya, who had his notebook open. 

"Nope. Not at all. Not for sportsmanship, at least."

His surprise was evident on his face. 

"How do you know...?"

His voice trailed off as I lifted a finger to my lips. "The match is about to start. Say... do you have any spare pieces of paper, and something I could write with— other than what you're using?"

He nodded slowly.

"Do you think you could give me a couple sheets?"

"...sure?"

~

I scribbled furiously as Mei spoke. I could always ask her later, but it would be a nice memory to have, and if she told me one-on-one, it wouldn't be nearly as grand or entertaining. I could tell she was enjoying herself, especially the opportunity to advertise her creations.

But I think a small part of her liked that fact that if she wanted to, she could choose to win at any moment.

"Midoriya?"

"Y-yes!"

"Could you continue taking notes for me? I should get ready for my match. Oh, and when Iida comes back? Tell him not to worry about it. She's just like that, especially about her babies. Like you and I want to become heroes, this is what she wants to do."

I stood up, pressing the pencil and papers into his hands and headed off.

~

"We're going to keep right on going with the fifth match!"

I stood across from the 1-B student, eyes locked with his.

Flames spurted out, surrounding us in brightness, and casting everything in shades of yellow, red, and orange.

Relax.

"Is he made of glue? 'Cause he can stick anything together! Nope, that's just his quirk! From the hero course, it's Yosetsu Awase!"

He can stick anything together...?

Breathe.

"She's a lean, mean, fighting machine! But what's her quirk? Also from the hero course, it's (Y/N) (L/N)!"

Awase slid into a ready stance, but I stood normally.

He can stick anything together...

I'd just need a second to tell if he can stick things together without contact. Once start is called, he'd take my second of hesitation to stick me to the ground if he doesn't need contact.

"Are you ready?!" 

The crowd roared in response.

"Begin!"

I paused a second, before shifting my feet.

He needs contact. Just don't let him touch you, and don't touch his skin.

I couldn't exactly do that though. I'd have to touch him at an unexpected moment, so he couldn't do anything.

Awase began speeding towards me, but I held my relaxed position, hands dangling but ready at my sides, and the tensed muscles of my legs hidden under my gym uniform pants.