Chapter 45: Behave yourself

"You're probably wondering why I wanted to talk."

I nodded, my mouth stuffed with rice.

"Well, I overheard you offering Yaoyorozu to help her with her fighting. I was wondering if I could take you up on that offer— even though it wasn't directed towards me."

Swallowing mouthful, I replied. "Of course you can. We can study together too! But why did you want to talk to me here?"

"Because I'll probably have to talk to my old man about it. I can get away with lots of stuff, but I don't think this is one of them..."

"I see..."

I stared hard at my food.

"Ah, Midoriya has arrived back."

"Along with Iida, Uraraka, Asui, and Hagakure."

Soon they were beside us, and digging into their food.

"The practical exam, huh?. It's kind of scary since I can't tell what'll be on it."

I looked up from my bowl.

"I don't think it'll be anything crazy."

"The written questions will come from what we study in class, so I should be able to manage somehow, but..." He lifted his bowl, bringing his full chopsticks to his mouth.

"You can manage, huh...?"

"Seriously, what'll we have to do for the practical exam?"

"I think that's what everyone is wondering." I laughed awkwardly, swallowing the remnants of rice left in my mouth, before picking at the remainder in my bowl with my chopsticks.

"'It'll be a comprehensive test if everything from the first semester.'"

"That's all Mr. Aizawa would tell us..."

"Everything we did so far... so, combat training and rescue training, and then the basic training..."

That seems like a pretty short list...

"In addition to studying, we'll have to keep in good physical condit—"

He was cut off as an elbow hit him sharply on the head.

Monoma's elbow, that is.

"Oh, sorry. Your head was so big that I accidentally hit it."

I rolled my eyes.

*sshole.

"You're from Class B... um... Monoma! How dare you—"

"I heard you guys met the hero killer—"

"Don't touch it." I stood up.

"Just like at the sports festival, you guys in Class A just have all the attention, huh?"

"I said, don't touch it. Drop it, Monoma. We've talked about this."

He continued anyway. "But that attention isn't because people have high hopes for you. It's because you keep attracting trouble, right? Oh, that's scary. Someday, the rest of us might also be caught up in the trouble you bring and become victims as well... like getting cursed by the god of pestilence! Oh, that's scar—"

Kendo hit the side of his neck, and he slumped to the ground, unconscious. She caught his tray as he fell.

You could tell that everyone around was getting uncomfortable.

"Monoma, that's not funny. Don't you know what happened to Iida?"

"Kendo!"

"Sorry, Class A. This guy's heart's just kinda, you know. "