Chapter 12 - Choosing you

I hadn't heard from Nathan all weekend. On Sunday, I tried to call his house, but nobody picked up then. They were most probably at church, but I was still worried about him. I simply didn't have a good feeling about leaving Nathan all alone with his dad on Friday. He seemed so incredibly pissed and I was actually concerned for Nathan and his well-being. I had sat in my car for a while, debating about going back or not, but that would have probably caused Nathan only more problems, than he already had, even though he would never admit to it. 

So I waited, very impatiently, for Monday to finally arrive. Even though we had school and I didn't care for that part very much, I just needed to know, that Nathan was alright. I rushed to school for the first time ever, knowing that we had the first two periods together and my mind could be at ease if I could see that he was ok. I wanted to just run to the classroom, but as much as I cared for Nathan, I still had that little duty to look after Micah. So that was what I did. 

Micah was fine and so I quickly walked with him to his locker, before bringing him to class safely and without any jocks causing him trouble. Now I was finally free and rushed to Mister arsehole White's classroom, where the other students already waited for the new teacher to arrive. And finally, I spotted Nathan sitting at his usual desk next to mine. I rushed over immediately, his eyes lighting up a bit when he saw me and a big smile appeared on his face. 

"Oh hey Jesse, there you are! I thought you might skip" he chuckled and it was a mystery to me, how he could be so happy and positive all the bloody time, especially after Friday evening. I quickly took my place next to him and gently held his head between my hands, examining it left and right for bruises. 

"Are you alright?? Did he hurt you??" I asked worriedly, as I couldn't immediately find any sign of bruising or other physical harm, but that didn't mean that he was ok. Nathan's smile turned into a completely confused and slightly worried frown, as if he didn't know what I was talking about and especially who I meant with he. That could have out my mind at ease, but I just needed him to be alright! I needed him to promise me that verbally, or else I couldn't rest.

"Uh yeah, I'm ok, why shouldn't I be?" he asked, sounding as if I was the crazy one here. 

"Nathan please, this is serious! You can trust me, you know you can! I won't judge you, please, just tell me if he hurt you in any way" I said, now trying to pull his sleeve up just a little bit, to see if I could find any bruises there, but Nathan gently pulled his arm away from my grip. "Who?" he asked and I didn't know at this point, if he was actually confused or just pretended to be, so I would stop worrying. 

"Your father Nathan! I saw how he treated you Friday evening when I dropped you off there and I just need to know, if he hurt you after I left. You can trust me Nathan, really I-...did he hurt you?" I asked, worry coating my words and Nathan bit his bottom lip a little nervously or maybe it was awkwardness, before he cleared his throat. 

"Jesse, I told you my dad isn't like that. Sure he can get a little angry sometimes, but who doesn't? Its fine, I'm fine, ok?" Nathan said and in that moment, our principal walked through the door. I leaned over a bit to Nathan, since he had got to be kidding me and whispered "Nathan, please don't pretend with me, you can trust me, please I-" 

"I said I'm fine, can we drop it?" he asked a little uncomfortably and even seeming tense. But just as I was about to protest and ask him one last time, the principal clapped his hands to get our attention. 

"Good morning everybody. I'm sure you have all heard the unfortunate news about Mister White by now. We planned on providing you with a new teacher from today forward, but failed to do so. We will try and find a fit candidate by the end of the week, so you have two free periods right now. I suggest you all use that time for some studying and I will see you soon. Thank you" the principal finished, before walking out of the room again. All the students started packing up their stuff, including Nathan, probably to head to the library and do as the principal had said and study there. I wanted to ask him again, but he was already heading for the door and I had to hurry and pack up myself, so I could catch up to him.