Chapter 39 - Losing my religion

I looked around once more, making sure everything was looking good. I spread out the balloons a little more and made sure the candles on the cake were still burning. No, this didn't look right! There should be more balloons! I shouldn't have just bought four packs, bloody hell, why didn't I buy more?? And the decorations didn't match, shit! Maybe I could quickly put that there and-

In that moment, I heard the door of the van squeaking open, revealing my Nathan. I quickly opened the confetti canon, which made a loud pop, before I yelled "Surprise!!" It must have looked utterly ridiculous. How I stood in this stuffed van, filled with balloons, decorations, cake and now confetti, wearing a party-hat and looking like I had run a marathon, judging my the nervous sweat on my forehead. But my love looked perfect, like always. 

It wasn't actually his birthday, but the day after. Unfortunately, his birthday fell on a Sunday and his family kept him in church basically all day. So I skipped school and prepared all of this for when we would meet in the afternoon, so we could celebrate his birthday, how he deserved it. I was very sure that his family wouldn't make a big deal out of him turning 18, since he already told me, that every year, he would get a special blessing in church and maybe twenty dollars from his dad, but that was it. No party, no celebration. I didn't want my love to spend his birthday like that, so I took it upon myself, to make at least the day after his birthday special. 

Nathan looked at me, eyes wide, as he scanned my face, the state I had put our beautiful van in and the cake, before his eyes wandered back to me. He seemed shocked and for a second, I worried that this was weird. That he didn't like it or thought it was dumb. But suddenly, Nathan's surprised face fell into a big smile, as he started laughing uncontrollably, looking at me and then back at the van. 

"Oh my god Jesse, you are crazy!" he exclaimed, coming inside and closing the door behind himself, getting a better look at everything that I had done. He took a look at the cake, which was just a simple big vanilla cake in the shape of a heart and happy birthday written on top. Then his eyes took in the decorations a little more up close and another delighted chuckle made it past my love's lips. Oh he was too cute for his own good.

"D-Don't you like it? I know it's really over the top, but honestly, if I had more time, this room would be too stuffed to even step foot in it! And yes, the colors don't really match but uh, oh shit...I messed this up didn't I?" I asked a little awkwardly, scratching the back of my neck nervously. I knew I should have taken Micah's advice and just invited my love to dinner and a movie not go over the top like this and then even fail... 

But Nathan turned around, a sweet smile on his lips, as he walked over to me, letting his arms rest on my shoulders, while he looked at me, his body so close to mine, that my hands fell to his waist, holding him. "I love it you doofus. It's-...It's really unbelievably sweet" he said and I smiled, looking at my happy angel. Nathan's eyes fell to my lips and I leaned in, pressing mine to his. Nathan pulled me closer by my neck, holding onto my locks and humming into the kiss.

"Happy birthday my love" I smiled, pulling away to look into his beautiful blue eyes and Nathan grinned, pecking me on the lips. "Thanks" he breathed and I was almost lost in the moment again. Especially since Nathan didn't want to pull away either. Since we made the plan to run away together, Nathan was a lot more affectionate and it was getting a little difficult for me to hold back around him. 

"Come on love, you have to blow out the candles and make a wish" I said and Nathan chuckled, rolling his eyes, but following me. He kneeled in front of the cake and threw me a happy and appreciative smile, before leaning closer and blowing out his candles. I applauded him, making my angel laugh, before he joined me on the bench. "What did you wish for?" I asked and Nathan looked at me sweetly.