Ch. 4: Bite of Tiramisu

Gigi smirked at Naina. "I knew you could do it. I knew you had it in you. You're awesome with others."

Naina rolled her eyes. "You didn't know that. You sent me cause you knew I'd be terrified of doing it. And I'm still mad at you for making me." Even if it had gone well and she'd seen Ian smile, the effects of her anxiety hadn't worn off. Her fingers trembled slightly, still coursing with done nerves.

"But it worked! Though it might've been because you look really...innocent."

"So you mean, because I look a lot younger than I actually am, it would soften the man's heart and allow me my way with him? Because he seemed a lot nicer than that. Frankly speaking, it would've been a lot easier if you'd gone, Gigi."

Gigi's sheepish look confirmed Naina's suspicion and she sighed.

They walked around the town square, going over some of the weddings for the following week.

Gigi groaned suddenly. Her light brown hair, streaked liberally with white, moved about as she shook her head.

"What?" Naina asked.

"Ollie asked me to get desserts for tonight. I forgot to in the morning and all the markets will have crappy leftovers. She's gonna murder me; it's the third time this week I've forgotten."

Naina saw a sign flashing as she thought about what to do.

Mariani's Café and Bakery, it read.

Was there something like that in town?

Dominic's words flowed across her brain. Café opening up tomorrow night.

"The new ranch owner's brother is opening a café tonight. I can bet he'll have something delicious for the both of you," Naina said hastily.

Gigi groaned this time, but it was a happier groan. "Oh! That sounds lovely. Let's hurry."

Naina wanted to say no. Her previous conversation with Dominic hadn't ended very well. The last thing she needing him saying in front of Gigi was, 'I do hope I didn't keep you up too late?'

"Gigi," she said. "I think I'll head home."

"Nonsense. Just come with me. If you want, I'll buy something for you."

Food overpowered Naina's will to go home and she followed, though a bit unwillingly.

The café was packed; maybe only women had heard about it, because an overwhelming stench of chemically flowery perfume greeted Gigi and her when they entered. Beautiful modern lights decorated the walls of the table area and comfortable looking furniture was spread out. It seemed to have black and white theme; varying tones of grey dotted here and there sparingly, but a majority of the store was either covered in white or black.

Dominic stood behind the register, taking orders when he could, or moving to the back.

Phew.

Hopefully, she didn't have to talk to him. If he stayed a little bit longer in the back...

Right when Gigi and she walked up to the register, the girl moved away, and Dominic replaced her.

Just my luck.

He brightened up when he saw Naina. "Hey! I didn't keep you up late last night did I?"

He gave her a small wink and turned to Gigi. "What can I get you ladies?"

Gigi tore her stare away from Naina and looked towards him. "Two of those hot chocolate cupcakes, and what do you want Naina—"

"Tiramisu," she snapped, wanting to get away.