Ch. 17: Of Roses and Sweaty Men

The wind blasted Naina's hair layers in every direction. Lauren stood across from her, looking as gorgeous and Queen B-like as always. Her perfect arms were crossed and her nose was angled in a supercilious way. The sun shone down on the two women, slapping them with heat while the humidity made Naina's baby hairs curl on end.

"You're not getting Queenie," Lauren said. "She's mine!"

"I've taken care of her more than you ever have," Naina snarled. "Let's just let the cat decide."

She'd never faced off with anyone before; the fact that it was over a cat made the situation either funny or weird.

Naina stood on one side of the sidewalk, while Lauren and Dominic stood on the other. She had to ask Lauren about Queenie; if she left the cat with her, Naina was sure it'd be dead within a couple of weeks of neglect.

Besides, a part of her hoped that Lauren's ego would drop a few pegs if Queenie decided that Naina was the better owner.

Gigi, who still seemed to refuse to speak to Naina, held the squirming cat in the middle of the two women. "I'll put Queenie on the ground. Whomever she goes to, gets the cat," she said.

Queenie strayed around for a few moments, getting absorbing in batting a pill bug. But soon enough, she made her way to Lauren.

"See? She knows who her owner is," Lauren said, sounding triumphant.

The lining of Naina's throat incinerated from holding back tears. Of course, Queenie would go to Lauren. She'd been around Lauren for the past week or so, so it made sense. Stupid of Naina to assume the cat would go to the person who'd gone out of their way to take care of her and make sure she'd been fed and loved.

Naina whirled away and moved to her car and the trailer without another word to the others. No one there would assure her that she wasn't in the wrong and to not feel bad. Tears slipped down her face, tickling her cheeks as they moved down slowly.

Ian had told her she was welcome to move in anytime, and to just let him know when she wanted to. She called him that morning to ask if he'd be okay with her coming so soon.

He was waiting by the back door of the clinic when she reached there. Salty tears had dried on her glasses and she rubbed any residue off of her face quickly as she walked towards him. The heat outside had increased in the thirty minutes she drove, becoming blisteringly hot and branding streaks against her cheeks.

He tilted his head to the side while scanning her face.

Stubble had grown again, accentuating his cheekbones and jawline. His hazel eyes were shadowed by the thick eyebrows on his face, making them look like dulled gold. The sleeveless tee he wore showed off the pretty rose tattoo on his arm.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

She explained about Queenie, ranting about how she'd taken care of the cat for so long but how it still didn't like her. By the end of it, she was heaving from helping him carry the heavier stuff into her new space and from holding back the waterworks. Her lungs felt like someone had used them as a rag, twisting and turning them until not a drop of water hung in the cloth.

He didn't say anything the entire time she complained and nodded his head here and there.

A few moments after she'd finished however, he said, "I'll keep an eye on her and let you know how Queenie's doing. Nic's a pig when it comes to housework and from what you've said, Lauren probably won't care about her. If need comes to be, I'll kidnap her for you."

Despite feeling angry and upset, Naina teased, saying, "Wouldn't it be a catnap? As in like, you're kidnapping a cat, not the cat napping—ah geez, why do I even bother to speak—"

He laughed again, fully, and wholly. His smile was wide and beautiful, while his cheeks turned a slight shade of pink. Sweat dripped on the side of his face and he swiped at it, while brushing back his hair.

Her heart twisted over itself, yet she felt happy; just being around him lifted her spirits. At the same time however, she kept thinking of Deme and how their relationship was holding out.

Ian and she sat next to each other on the ground of her new bedroom, taking a well-deserved break. He'd been such a champ, moving everything in without her having to ask him to. Even her heavy book boxes he'd moved on his own, even though she told him he didn't have to worry about it.

She tried to be careful to not lean on him. He's dating Deme, she reminded herself. No use getting any hopes up.

He smelled lightly of cologne and sweat, a weird combination.

She liked it. Her heart skipped a beat as she thought about him being so close to her.

Gah, please don't do that.

"What're you thinking about?" he asked.

She shrugged, subtly trying to make sure no body odor was stinking around her. Being an Indian and having a propensity to sweat made her self-conscious when someone sat down next to her. Especially someone who was making her heart do pirouettes and somersaults. "Deme. I haven't seen her since before that disastrous wedding."

"Speaking of that," he started saying, straightening himself against the wall. His arm grazed her shoulder. "I think you should look into it more. Ask around. Cause I heard from Nic that Lauren wants to file a case against you."

"For what?" she laughed. "Unknowingly ruining her wedding because I didn't somehow teleport to the office to check up on the documents and the workers?"

He didn't look amused though. The angry grouch face had returned, and he shook his head. "No, I'm serious. Get someone to look into it because if what you've said is true, there's someone out there who either deliberately disobeyed a contract or messed with one without prior consent. And fooling around with those costs a lot of money."

She fiddled with her fingernails and picked at some dirt lodged in one of them. "I don't know," she mumbled. She could feel the anxiety within her building up again, like little waves before a tsunami. "I don't have the money laying around to hire some detective to snoop around or a lawyer. I mean, I've got a decent amount saved up, I just wish I didn't have to spend it on that bitch. I should've just rejected her and put her with her aunt."

He scoffed. "Yeah, seems to me that she's trying to turn into a shit storm."

"Everything always has to be about her. It was like that when we were friends too."

He stayed silent again. She could feel his eyes on her; a weird buzzing erupted around her neck and the shiver slithered down her spinal cord.

"Why do you always do that?" she asked, turning towards him. For once, she didn't feel like looking away from his eyes.

He looked confused, and his eyebrows furrowed towards each other. "Do what?"

"Stay silent. I usually feel like I'm the one doing all the talking whenever you're around."

He smiled a bit and said, "Well, most of the time, I'm usually just trying to see whether you want advice or a response, or if you just want someone to listen to you. Do you want me to give you advice?"

"Yes, please." She had no idea of what to do now. She'd assumed it would end when she'd been fired.

"Ask around. Contact your friends that that agency you worked at. I'll look into getting the camera footage to see what happened; I'm having trouble with the security firm handing it over but I'll give it to you once I get it. Did you ever talk to Randy after the wedding?"

She'd completely forgotten; he'd been so earnest in wanting to speak to her. "No," she mumbled. "I didn't."

"Ask him what he saw. Maybe it'll help you."

"Is he here right now?"

Ian glanced around for a bit and furrowed his eyebrows. "No...I think he's visiting his grand-niece. He'll be back soon though."

Hopefully, soon meant tomorrow.

~~~

I need a hot guy to help me move stuff in my life...so I'll have him help her with it. ;)

Hope you lovely people liked this chapter. I know it's a slow-burn, please bear with me! And please leave a vote if you can XD