Ch. 5: Black Eyed Indian

Her night wedding event had gone as smoothly as possible.

Yes, even with the thirty-minute delay with the groom's car, the struggles Naina faced with the mothers-in-law and her lack of sleep thanks to Lauren's night performance, it occurred without issues.

Mostly.

Naina leaned against the brick wall surrounding the town square. The groomsmen had decided the extra food at the buffet table was for a food fight and threw everything everywhere. Luckily she hadn't been wearing her glasses; one of their elbows had connected with her left eye, when she'd tried to break it up, and she could feel her skin prickling with pain.

Moon Moon was still open. She could see people billowing about inside.

Maybe Deme could get her a free drink. Naina knew she could use something right now.

Sugar, maybe some alcohol.

No, bad idea. The last thing she needed was the alcohol interacting with the ibuprofen she'd just taken.

Deme was serving some customers when Naina walked (trudged) in. She sat down on the stool and leaned her head against her hand.

"What happened to you love?" Deme asked. Her dimple winked in and out as a wry smile spread across her face. A few brunette tendrils floated around her pale face.

"Groomsmen thought it'd be funny to host a food fight. I got elbowed in the eye when Dexter and I had to break it up," Naina answered. "I need some ice; I think it's gonna bruise."

"Yeah, it's darkening, give me a second." She moved away and got a bag.

Naina had never expected to make a friend in this town. Everyone already knew each other or knew Lauren too well to like her. Deme had been the first person to speak to Naina, back when she first moved to town.

Demeter 'Deme' Sanderson was the no nonsense, sarcastic, caring proprietress of Moon Moon, the local watering hole. She'd inherited it from her dad.

She handed the bag back, now laden with ice. "Well, at the very least, I'm glad to see you not wearing those oversized clothes. You've actually got clothes that fit you! I always forget that you do have them."

Naina looked down. The skirt she wore hugged her waist too well and her shirt emphasized her boobs. She'd taken off her sweater because the heat hadn't settled away outside. "The bride made sure I didn't wear anything 'old lady like'. This is the best I could come up with that was still business-likeish."

"Well it looks great."

"This skirt makes my ass look fat, look at it," Naina turned around, still pressing the 'ice-pack' to her eye and looked at her butt.

"I can see, it looks nice." Deme gave her a wink and went to help another customer.

As she sat down, Naina glanced around, wondering if a familiar face was here.

There were three.

Lauren, Dominic and Ian were sitting at a booth. Lauren seemed to be laying it thick on Dominic; she'd seated herself next to him and was poking his arm. She kept giggling at everything he said.

It's only been a few weeks. She must really want it bad.

Immediately after she thought that, Naina felt bad. Maybe Lauren really liked the dude, who was she to judge?

But then Naina thought about her sleepless night and Lauren's awkward moaning.

She made eye contact with Ian and looked sharply away. His piercing hazel eyes had definitely seen her.