Ch. 22: Opening Day

The day of the opening ceremony was a beautiful, slightly cloudy day. The winds were cool and ruffled the layers of Naina's skirt.

She'd chosen to go with a simple, tan and white colored, summer dress that danced around her knees as she walked across the chairs. Each seat was decorated with a pamphlet describing the place as well as a mini goodie bag.

Burrito stuck to Naina's ankles, dashing in and out of the clinic to check on her pups, which were locked away in a room only accessible by a small doggie door.

It had been Ian's literal last-minute idea; he'd wanted Burrito to be able to move freely but still be able to check on the babies. Naina wasn't sure how comfortable she'd feel about having part of her door be open to others but realized that unless someone crouched or was the size of a corgi, they wouldn't be getting very far.

Everything seemed to be in place. They'd gone for a colorful, rainbow theme because neither Naina nor Ian could decide on a proper color. The animal balloon and face paint artists informed her that they'd come in about an hour, right when the festivities would begin. The caterers were putting the final touches to the food and would be here soon to set up the tables.

Nothing would go wrong. She was sure of it.

Several cars screeched to a halt in front of the fence surrounding the clinic, driving up dust that billowed away. The opposing lot of land had been turned into a makeshift parking lot, labeled with cones and ropes to dissuade law-avoiding drivers.

Naina had done her research on the company sponsoring the place, so she knew what the chairwoman looked like as the older woman walked up the pathway.

Chairwoman Darlene Wilhelm was a short, but intimidating woman. She had the walk of a confident, strong person yet it was with a soft, calm voice that she introduced herself to Naina. Her short pixie haircut twitched around as she bobbed Naina's hand up and down. "Hi Ms. Reddy, I'm Darlene Wilhelm."

Naina resisted blurting out 'I know' and instead said, "It's a pleasure to meet you ma'am, please come this way."

She waved her hand behind her, to show the Chairwoman and several other board officials to their seats. Some of them pointed at the barn with wide grins. Others surveyed the surrounding land with a keen gaze.

"Where's Damian?" the Chairwoman asked.

"He said he'll be here soon." Honestly, Naina didn't know what soon meant. The program wouldn't start for another hour. Also, why did the older lady call him Damian? How well did she know him?

She barked a laugh. "I've known that guy since he was a teenager, he usually shows up well ahead of time before company events."

The Chairwoman took the program on her seat and fanned her face, spreading her blonde locks. "Geezum, it's hot isn't it?"

"I can get you some water, if you'd like?" Naina offered.

"No it's alright; no need for you to get them. Just show me where they are."

Naina walked them over to the crate of water bottles and lifted the lid, exposing the well-insulated ice to the blisteringly annoying sun. The clouds had dispersed suddenly and Naina cursed the moody weather of the South.

She recognized Ian's Mustang as it kicked up dust towards the clinic entrance. He got out, shook his suit jacket, and made his way to where the rest of them stood.

"Damian!" The chairwoman capped her bottle and hobbled over to give him a huge hug. "I haven't seen you in months! You've done an amazing job with the place."

He gave her a winning grin, throwing an arrow into Naina's heart. It wasn't prepared for the onslaught of his suit and beautifully shaved face. "Thanks but wait till you see the inside. Actually, since no one else is here, let me show you our first customers."