Ch. 29: More Questions

Naina informed Deme about Queenie being missing. Her friend told her she'd be on the lookout and tell others about it.

Oddly enough, Lauren hadn't spoken or acted out since she failed to get another balloon animal. Naina was still waiting on Dexter to give her a call about who'd logged in and messed with her documents.

She typed up everything on her laptop, putting dates and times, saving the pictures Cassie had sent to her within the file and documented as much as she could. By the time she'd finished, her brain, the pile of mush, feebly gathered its wits.

She was going to help the vet tech with one of their larger clients; Pharaoh, a young Clydesdale that'd sprained a major leg muscle, was an intimidating creature. Doc had done what he could, repairing the muscle as best possible, but the horse needed training to be around humans.

Rin Mitsuhashi, the tech, bounced around, trying to show Naina how to approach the horse in a way where it wouldn't startle the huge animal. Each hoof was the size of her face and the top of Naina's head reached Pharaoh's neck.

"Clydesdale's," Rin explained. "Are seriously gentle creatures. We just need to walk this big gal around every day and let her get some free air. Eventually, she'll be able to pull and work like her brothers and sisters."

Pharaoh stumbled for a bit. Doctor's orders had not allowed her to move after the surgery, so her gait was wobbly, like a newborn foal. Once Naina had been established as a friend, Rin went back inside, leaving her alone with the gentle giant.

They slowly made their way once around the ring. As they came back to where they began, Pharaoh tugged on her reins to the barn and Naina walked her back. There was no use in forcing the horse to keep walking, after all.

Pharaoh's stable was filled with soft hay and a warm blanket. She settled onto the ground with a thump, and Naina started brushing her mane. The soft, blonde strands would spread out and then move back in as the comb moved through them.

Naina wondered what happened to Queenie, where the poor cat was and if she was even alive still. Although the town provided plenty of sites to see, once a visitor got past it, it was rolling fields of grass and neighborhoods.

"Pretty sure her hair's combed through and through."

Naina started, clutching the brush tightly. She hadn't been alone?

Doc stood at the door of the stall, wearing a wry smile and cocked eyebrow. "Everything alright Naina?"

She shook her head. "No, but things are slowly falling into place. But I learned yesterday—"

Could she tell him? Her voice died as anxiety and doubt filled her throat.

He sat down at the front of the stall and crossed his legs. "What's wrong?"

Maybe it was the old man's reassuring voice, or his kind eyes, but words slipped out of her mouth easily. "My old roommate's cat went missing. I took care of her pet, but Queenie, the Siamese mix, wanted to stay with my former roommate. Ian told me that Queenie disappeared a few days ago and I'm worried about her."

"Hopefully, she'll return soon."

"I hope so!" she exclaimed. "Most of this area is free land and I'm pretty sure God doesn't even know what might be out there. Coyotes, foxes, or rabid racoons."

"Cats are pretty resourceful. I'm sure she'll be fine. Who knows? She might come looking for you." The grin he gave her settled her heart and slowly, a smile made its way across her lips.

"Don't get my hopes up Doc. I love that cat, but she chose the person who didn't care about her. I highly doubt Queenie would come for me."

Pharaoh snorted in her sleep, which Naina took as a cue to leave.