Ch. 8: Heart Stopping News

When Ian left with his brother, Naina felt annoyed and sad.

But she called Deme.

"I got you a date with McHottie," she said, without an introduction.

"What! Why?" Deme's shrieks were satisfying; for once, Naina had the upper hand.

"Because he's your type?"

"Oh love, seriously? You did that for me?"

"Asked him if he was single and if he'd be interested in going on a date with you," Naina explained. "And no, I didn't make you look desperate. I'm a good friend."

Deme laughed nervously. The last time Naina had been set up with someone, Deme had overplayed Naina's interest in the guy, making it sound like Naina was begging for it.

And then he met Lauren and Naina was treated to seeing them on their dates for a month.

"Well," Deme said. "Thank you. How will he get in touch with me though?"

"Can I give him your number?"

"Sure."

They talked a little more about him; Deme bugged out all the details Naina knew before wishing her a good night.

Naina packed up the curry and cleaned the pans before hitting the sack. She finally had a day off tomorrow and was looking forward to relaxing. Her comforter was cold, helping her settle in as the heat droned on outside.

BAM BAM BAM

Something was crashing into her dreams about a wonderfully ginormous tray of tres leches. As she swam around in the cake, the loud booms rocked everything again.

BAM BAM BAM

Struggling to get up, she plodded out of her bedroom door, half blind to her surroundings. It was a blur; she didn't have her glasses on.

Without thinking properly, she opened up the front door, not even bothering to look through the peephole.

The guy laughed a little and said, "Did I just wake you up right now?"

Groaning again, she growled, "I'm too tired for jokes Dominic."

"Uh, this is Damian, sorry to disappoint you."

She squinted her eyes as tightly as possible and finally saw the jet-black hair and beard, though they looked blobish. Was he smiling?

She couldn't tell.

"Oh yeah," she said sarcastically. "I'm so disappointed. Can I help you?"

"Sure. I got my first patient in today. Momma corgi who's going to be giving birth within the next few months. Would you like to meet her?"

All sleepiness faded as she stared at him wide eyes, with an equally huge smile. "Yes!" she exclaimed, before calming down. "I'd love to! Here, let me change and I'll come."

She quickly threw on some old jeans and a t-shirt while brushing her teeth. After giving Queenie her breakfast, grabbing a banana and making sure she didn't forget anything, Naina met him outside and locked her door.

"Oh," she said. "By the way, here's my friend's number." She handed him a small piece of paper, upon which ten digits were scrawled.

Without looking at it, he pocketed it and said, "Thanks."

"So what's this momma corgi like? What does she look like?"

"She's a Cardigan Welsh. She's got mottled color fur, ranging from grey and black to tan in some places, with a white under body. Her owners had her forcibly mate with another purebred after abusing her left and right. She's a little scared. One of my friends—"