Ch. 15: Eye Of The Storm

This wasn't supposed to happen.

Somehow, someone had gotten access to the files to the caterers and decorators. What'd resulted was something that looked like a confetti cannon had exploded within the reception room, painting it in garish neon blue and green colors. As if that weren't bad enough, all of the food that was supposed to be ordered were replaced with anything and everything that Lauren was 'allergic' too.

Which was odd, because Naina had double checked the venue before leaving to change. Everything had been perfect when she left. The pink and creme colored clothes had been draped in a careful, elegant way and each table had a small goodie bag.

"You're fired," Gigi said; her voice was deadly calm. Her expression was stony, and not one inch of her was amused.

Everyone in the congregation stared at Naina, who was shaking from head to toe in her best business suit. The only noise she could hear were Lauren's crocodile sobs and the annoying reassurances from her bridesmaids which included ones from the lying make-up queen, Carmella.

This wasn't supposed to happen. All Naina could do was repeat those words in her head.

Lauren's parents glowered at Naina, as did Penny. Lauren's useless parents were good for one thing, Naina thought: backing their daughter up no matter what.

"Gigi, I didn't do this," Naina said, as calmly as she could. She felt a quaver within her voice and gently cleared her throat. "You know that."

"All I know, is someone 'suddenly' changed everything and you're the only one with access to the files and contacts to change them. And the keys to this place."

"No!" she cried out; her voice started breaking up like someone had shoved a brick in her throat. "I would've n—never done something like—like this! I'd never stoop that low. You know me better than that."

Behind Gigi, Ian and Dominic watched Naina. Dominic looked pissed, just like everyone else. He held onto his sobbing bride, all while giving Naina the worst glare she'd ever seen. The intense harshness within his eyes made her wonder how she hadn't melted yet.

Lauren's tears had miraculously stopped, and a creepy smile had replaced her anguished sobs.

Ian looked worried. His eyebrows were drawn towards each other in an unfamiliar look of fear. Naina's anxiety doubled when she realized that he was probably the only person in the room that pitied her. His dad's expression she couldn't read; it was equal parts confused and annoyed.

"Gigi, please," she whispered. Like seriously, turn around and look at your niece.

"No. Out. I know you and I trusted you to not do something like this, get out of here. I'll fix this myself," Gigi said. She didn't even have the decency to look at Naina while saying this, turning away and facing her brother and sister-in-law. "I'm sorry about this. Please let me talk to the caterers and decorators, and we can get this fixed."

Everyone's eyes shot bullets into Naina's body as she walked out. Every step felt like someone had tied a bag of bowling balls to her feet. She broke into a run as soon as she passed through the doors of the reception hall, trying to make it out of the building before bursting into tears.

She hadn't done anything wrong. She knew that.

So why was she crying, like she was guilty?

Collapsing against her car, she slid down until her knees touched the burning hot pavement. Like a child, she bawled her eyes out and rubbed them until they felt raw. Her glasses blurred from dried and wet tears. Sniffles choked her, and she wiped her nose on her jacket.