Ch. 9: The Other Side of You

Naina's hand stilled on Burrito, who immediately started whining. Then noticing that there were visitors, she waddled up to Lauren, who instantly shrank towards Dominic.

Dominic, however, scratched Burrito behind the ears and grinned at Naina and Ian.

Ian cleared his throat. "Uh, I'm not trying to be a bother, but how long have you two known each other?"

Lauren sighed. "Well enough. He's like, my soulmate."

Naina coughed, trying to hide a snort, and swallowed. "Have you told Gigi?" she asked.

"Why would I?" Lauren pouted and moved closer to Dominic. Any closer and she'd have to sit on his lap.

She's the one who's probably going to be handling everything with your damn—

"Besides," she continued, ripping into Naina's thoughts. "We want you to handle it."

Naina stilled; roots grew beneath her into the wooden floor. Her heart pounded into her ears, and instinctively, her palms started sweating. Something was up; there was no legitimate reason why someone who hated her wanted her to handle their wedding. "Um, I don't think so. You should talk to Gigi," Naina said slowly.

"Oh wow. So now you're being rude?" The excitement fell on Lauren's face, and suddenly, she looked like a tragic heroine.

Typical Lauren. Playing the victim, even when there isn't an issue. "No, I said that because it's weird how you're deciding so suddenly—"

"I love him. What would you know about love? Every guy you've been with—" Apparently Lauren's brain still worked for some things, Naina thought, because she suddenly stopped speaking and had the decency to look ashamed. An ugly, blotchy blush creeped across her face.

The unanswered question hung in the air.

What would you know about love? Every guy you've been with left you. For me.

Naina took a deep breath, extending her chest as far as it would go before releasing it. As calmly as she could muster, she said, "I'll do it only if Gigi's my partner. I'm not doing this alone."

A glare burned in her eyes; she wanted to blast a hole into Lauren's face.

Lauren sighed like a dramatic drama queen. "Fine."

She then grinned."Oh it'll be like old times! I'm so excited to work with you again—"

Naina didn't want to hear anything anymore; she felt sick to her stomach and forcibly tuned Lauren's voice out. The banana from earlier churned around in her pouch, silently seeping her energy away. Burrito seemed to pick up on Naina's uneasiness.

She waddled over and laid her head on Naina's lap, looking up with those beautiful, brown marble-like eyes.

Despite the brief respite in the nausea, she couldn't shake that something was wrong. Lauren was planning something.

Naina just had to figure out what it was before everything turned into a shithole.

With her at the bottom of it. She wondered what the hours were for the nearby cement factory.

Ian's voice came from behind her, startling her from any thoughts about burying Lauren in the local cement factory. "Who's paying for this Nic?"

"Well, I told mom about it, and she's coming—"

"She's coming?" he whispered.

Naina had never heard Ian's voice sound so angry or exhausted. She turned around to face him. His hands were shaking slightly, and he rubbed his beard, clinging onto the last few strands.

His normal, sun-tanned skin looked pale. Ian's hazel eyes darted around, before settling on the wall near the television.

"Well, yeah, she's got to meet her daughter-in-law." Dominic didn't seem to note his brother's panic and glanced lovingly at Lauren. "She'll be coming next week, to help hash out the details."

"Great." Sarcasm filled Ian's voice, but Naina noted the slight hoarseness.

She touched his hand, causing him to start. "Everything okay?" she whispered.

He gave her a curt nod but didn't answer. "What about your family Lauren?" he asked. "Parents coming also?"

"No, they'll probably come the day of. They travel a lot for their work. Daddy's a pilot and mommy's a stewardess. I already told them and they're just as excited!"

Great. As if dealing with Lauren wasn't enough, now Naina had to deal with parents who hated her, solely because their daughter was a lying bitch and made Naina out to be a demoness. The amount of times she'd been there for Lauren she couldn't count on her hand. She'd need three extra limbs, and even then Lauren had told her parents that Naina 'hated her' and 'was so mean' just because Naina had said something that'd sounded logical but was actually mildly hurtful.

How was Naina was supposed to remember that seeing an ex would hurt so badly? Especially an ex that a certain person dated for a month and declared her love for? Lauren fell in love easily and the guys seemed to get scared off by that. And she constantly cried over her failed relationships, which usually didn't last longer than a couple of months.

Naina got up, and a reluctant Burrito whined. If she stayed any longer, she'd go insane. "I have to go. But congratulations, to the both of you."

They both thanked her and she left.

Ian followed her outside and leaned on his door frame after closing it. "You alright?"

"I should be asking you that," she stated, while watching him closely. The color had returned to his face, but the way he twitched his fingers, shook his leg and glanced around told her he still might be anxious.

"I don't get along with Nic's mom," he said curtly.

"Nic's mom, you mean she isn't—"

"She's not my mom." He paused and scowled even further. "She's like a step-mom."

"Like?"

He nodded but didn't add anything else.

She shrugged. "I'm alright. I just...something seems off. Like, Lauren hates me." He raised an eyebrow like he didn't believe her, and she continued quickly, "No, I'm serious. We don't get along with each other at all. And now she wants me to handle her wedding?"

"No wonder you looked so confused," he mumbled. The lower tone of his accented voice sent shivers down her spine, tickling every inch of her.

"Yeah, well. Thanks, for letting me come and see Burrito."

"You're welcome to anytime. Just let me know if you want to." A slow, easy smile spread across his face.

"How do I get ahold of you?" Her heart pounded. She was just asking for his number...so why were her palms sweaty? The heat outside seemed to increase two-fold and she fanned her face.

He grinned and held out his phone. "Give me your number, I'll send a text from my phone."

Just like that, he had her number. After reminding him to give Deme a call, she went home.

Oh yes. This day certainly didn't go the way she expected it to.

But she wasn't complaining. When her phone buzzed with a text as soon as got off the last step, she bit her lip to stop smiling.

Ian here :)

~~~

Sorry for the delay in uploading this online! I'll try to do it every week if I can, if I can't, it'll be every two weeks. How are you guys doing? I hope all of you are safe and healthy :)

As always, please leave some feedback or thoughts on this chapter!