Ch. 16: Buffering Storm

Naina gaped at Ian. Her jaw was somewhere on the ground, scraping the dusty, dry dirt. He tilted his head to the left, as if encouraging her to speak.

Hurrying to babble out a response, she said the first thing on her mind. "Ian, don't joke. You've probably got someone better than me—"

"No, I don't. It's not gonna be an easy job since this place it just starting up. I'm having a hard time finding someone qualified. I've already got a huge waitlist of people wanting to send their pets and precious animals. The minute this place opens, it's going to get swamped." He shrugged. "After what happened today, I thought I should offer it to you and see what you think. You seem like a good worker and I know you like animals so...how do you feel about it?"

She stepped backward a little and gave him a wary glance. "You didn't have anything to do with what happened at Lauren's wedding, do you?" Highly unlikely, she thought, given how straightforward he'd always been with her, but doubt gnawed at her brain like a squirrel attacking a nut.

He shook his head and answered in a serious tone. "No, I didn't. And I can see why you thought that, but seriously, I didn't have anything to do with it. Just really bad timing on my part."

"Can I think about it and let you know? I'd also need a sheet detailing everything about the job." She started tapping her foot, while looking at the surroundings of the clinic. Her hands shook; how was she being offered a job so fast? There had to be a catch.

"Sure thing. You've got a month or so, so take your time." The smile on his face edged into his voice as he asked, "Can I give you a tour of the place?"

He showed her the front office, as well as the office the doctor would be using. There were a few bedrooms in the back for the on-call workers, a fridge, kitchen. Kennels dotted the front area of the clinic. There were also a couple of surgery rooms, one huge one for large animals and several small ones.

The barn had massive stalls for larger animals, and pens for pigs, sheep, and mini horses, or in case there was overflow in the main rooms of the clinic. Dark mahogany surrounded the entire interior, giving it a comfy feeling. Steel beams supported the entire building and in the upper alcoves, she found more places for supplies.

"Wow, you really thought things out," she said, a little mystified at everything.

He shook his head. "There's no way this place could take in exotic animals, or wild ones. For now, domestic and farm animals are the only ones allowed. I'll have to see in the future, after contacting experts."

"Still, within no time, you've got this place up and running, that's amazing."

He smiled at her. Without the beard, it was easier to see the way his lips quirked up. Softly, he said, "Thanks."

They walked back to her car and as she thought about driving back home, something hit her.

She slapped her forehead a bit harder than she'd anticipated. "Ow."

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I just realized I need to move out and pack up soon. Gigi and Lauren are going to be pissed if they find me in the apartment when they're done here."

"They're not going to kick you out." Judging his tone, the statement sounded more like a question.

She sighed, and her voice trembled. "When Gigi doesn't like someone, she really doesn't like them. Like, 'I don't want to be around you, or see you' kind of dislike. I have to move out of there soon."

"Those two are going on a honeymoon—"

"Yeah, but they still have to come back and check their apartments. I have to move out within the next few days."

"Where'll you stay?" He had a confused look on his face. "You know, I don't think anyone's that horrible to do something like kicking another person to the curb without a warning."

"Yeah, well, they hate me, and I don't really want to see them. I'm the kind of person who'll avoid conflict if I can."

He didn't really have an answer for that. Instead, he shrugged his shoulders. "Deme's place?"

"No, her apartment's tiny. And I don't want to burden her."

"She's your friend. I doubt she'd think it's a burden."

Naina looked at the ground and mumbled, "I know she won't. I just feel like I'll be one."

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Well, I don't want to be presumptuous or anything, but if you'd like, you're welcome to stay at the clinic. There's a bedroom for the on-call doctor and the manager."

"Aren't you interviewing other people? Would that look okay?" Not that she was against staying somewhere far away from Lauren.

He shrugged again. Ian's eyes blinked a couple of times before he said, "I mean, if someone else comes along, given that you reject the offer, then I can just clean it up. I've been meaning to move Burrito here anyway. She likes the open area. Having you around would mean I can do that."

"Well when you throw her into the mix, it's pretty damn hard to say no..." she said. A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

He glanced towards the old mansion, where loud music and shouts could be heard. As he maneuvered out of her car, she got out and leaned on the door.

"Well, let me know what you think Naina. I'll be around if you need someone." With a small wave and smile, he hurried back to the venue.

She waited till he entered the building to start driving home.

When she got back to her place, the silence in the apartment was overbearingly annoying, like wearing a heavy blanket in hundred degree weather. Even Queenie wasn't around; she was at the venue too, having been trained to carry the rings down the aisle at the wedding, courtesy of Naina.

Tears filled up her eyes again, despite feeling better after hanging out with Ian.

But she got to packing. She didn't have a lot; she'd probably have to rent a trailer for her bed and boxes, since her car was too small to fit everything. The laptop was packed safely away. All her books were neatly organized. Long after the sun had set, blistering the sky with brilliant orange waves, she'd put most of her stuff away and had started on sorting things out in the fridge area.

The front door lock jiggled and instinctively, she ran towards her room and settled close to it, trying to make out the voices. If she didn't make her presence known, then she could get away without having to run into her lovely roommate.

It seemed Dominic was there too, because Naina heard a familiar male voice.

"You should've eased up on the alcohol."

Lauren whined. Naina had to press her ear up against her closet wall to hear everything said. "I don't care Nic. I's sho pissed at what dat bish did," her roommate slurred out.

"I can understand, but still. Here's some water." Dominic's voice sounded soft and caring, a one-eighty to the anger Naina remembered seeing in his eyes.

"No! Led me be angry wif her! I'll definitely get back...at...her. Stupid...cunt...bish." Lauren's voice seemed to die off.

For a few moments, all was silent.

Dominic said, "I'm sure you will."

He grunted weirdly like he'd lifted her but was struggling to hold onto her.

As she tried to sleep, Naina kept turning around, unable to calm down at all and worried about what Lauren's threat meant. The itch at the base of her spine tingled maliciously.

~~~

Because I love you guys so much, I'm updating earlier than usual. Hopefully I'll get the next chapter in this weekend. Sorry if it's shorter than usual. :P

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote. XD