Ch. 35: Unraveling, Part 1

Ian was still giggling when Naina and he got into his car.

"Can't you stop laughing?" she groaned out. Luckily, there was no discoloration on her face, but it felt like someone had used her eye as a pin cushion.

Despite the throbbing, prickly pain, she couldn't help but smile. His entire face lit up when he laughed, sounding deep and wonderful at the same time.

He shook his head, wheezing and waving his hands like a seal. "I—can't. You—you—"

He kept breathing out more laughs before getting himself under control. "You delivered such an awesome closing line and then you walked into the door. Like, that only happens in cartoons."

"I know." Her face toasted up, and she stuffed it into her hands.

Ian took one of them, tilted her face back up, and kissed her. Any heat on her face transferred to her arms and any other body part that wasn't moving. Fireworks blasted off in her head and down below, a storm brew.

After they broke apart, he said, "Let's celebrate. You did a great job today."

She was about to agree, but then she thought of Gigi crying and not knowing anything. "I don't—I mean, I want to. But I keep thinking about Gigi crying and—I just. I don't feel I should be."

"It's not your fault. It's Ollie's and Lauren's fault."

"Yeah and—"

She trailed off, unsure of how to word what she felt in that moment. Sadness? Anger? Confusion?

"Let's just have a home date then. I'm pretty sure Burrito and Queso have driven Kenny crazy all day."

When they got back to the clinic, so Naina could pick up some necessary items like a change of clothes and her toothbrush, they found Queso fast asleep on Kenny's lap, while he read a book. As Ian and she tip-toed in, Kenny grinned. "How'd it go?" he asked.

They both gave thumbs up and smiled equally as widely.

Burrito went along with them. Kenny enjoyed being with Queso, and didn't seem to mind watching the tiny pup.

Naina sifted through her mail on the way to Ian's apartment. There were several magazine notices and a pale purple envelope.

When she opened it the wrong way, an invitation fell out.

With MJ's name on it.

And a man's too.

"Oh my God," she gasped. MJ's wedding invitation had come.

But why was she inviting Naina?

A small sticky note on the back explained.

Thank you so much for helping us! You've saved us a ton of money and we would love for you and a guest to come to the reception!

"Hey, Ian. Want to be my date—"

"Of course."

"You didn't let me finish."

He waggled his eyebrows at her. "I'll always be your date no matter what."

"I meant for a wedding. Are you okay with coming with me?"

"Yes, of course."

She collapsed onto his sofa when they reached his apartment. The cool, silky pillow was like a gentle caress on her cheeks and she rubbed her face in.

Burrito ran around the apartment, tearing up the corners like a little race car and finally settled into a corner where she attacked her favorite chewy yak toy.