Ch. 23: The Karen of All Karens

Nobody spoke for a few moments. The tension was so thick, Naina couldn't have cut it with a diamond.

A child's giggles startled the group. More officials were coming as well as the Mayor of the town; she was schlepping it up with the press already. Adogable Rescues was setting up a few of their tame, calm animals, hoping that they could get some adoptions from the crowd today.

Naina slipped her hand away from Ian's elbow. As she moved to her seat, each step she took imbibed her with confidence that she didn't think she was capable of having.

She watched as Ian introduced the Doctor to the Chairwoman and his dad. Both of their faces were eased now, and the Chairwoman even laughed at a joke that was told.

As ten o'clock hit, a majority of people snagged seats and Naina guffawed when she saw Lauren and Dominic standing awkwardly. Extra chairs had been set up, but not enough apparently.

Fortunately for them, a lovely couple with kids got their children to sit on their laps, allowing the other two to take the open spots.

A cool breeze ruffled Naina's hair and the sweat dripping down caressed the back of her neck in a creepy way, like someone drawing their fingers against it purposely slow.

First were the speeches from the Chairwoman and Directors, about being able to open a non-profit organization and using their money in a way that they knew helped and assisted others. Ian also spoke, about the difficulties when first looking for a good area and how he was thankful for finding an amazing city and staff.

At this comment, he turned and clapped for the Doctor and Naina; in doing so, the audience followed suit and clapped.

Naina blushed harder than the heat the sun's rays slapped her with. Noticing everyone's eyes on her, she waved and grinned as excitedly as possible.

Then were the tours and fun things. Naina took one group around the barn, only allowing people to access the lower floor. Some of the children tried sneaking up the stairs to go to the rafters, but after snapping at them and having her voice echo around, Naina succeeded in scaring them into behaving.

The last thing they needed on opening day was to have someone fall and get hurt.

The balloon and face painting artists were whirling away, making beautiful creations that delighted their customers. Some people were nibbling on the hors d'oeuvre and sipping the non-alcoholic fruit cocktails that'd been ordered.

All in all, she thought, it was going well.

She ate the fried mozzarella stick that she'd picked up earlier and savored the spread of the gooey cheese and the crunchy breadcrumbs. The accompanying marinara sauce gave it a bit of a kick that scraped the back of her throat.

A majority of the families that'd come were out by the time the disastrously hot afternoon sun came and left everyone in a sweaty, tired mood. Most people had good words for the clinic and hopes that it'd really help animals in need.

Naina winced when she heard a very familiar, very annoying shriek.

"How dare you! I'm the sister-in-law of the owner of this place, and I demand you to give me a new one!"

Lauren had finally taken her anger out, not on Naina or Ian, but on the poor balloon animal artist. The older lady, Octavia, shook her head, trying to stand her ground.

That's when Naina heard this gem:

"Oh yeah? Well, I'll get someone who can help me."

Lauren stormed over to where Naina was standing, holding onto a cream puff like she wanted to squirt its contents in Queen B's eyes. As she was dragged away, Naina popped the cool dessert in her mouth and felt the cool, strawberry flavored cream ease her nerves.