Ch. 12: Secrets Galore

Penny Mariani had come in about three times since she'd last met Gigi and Naina. Every single time she did, she left Naina exhausted and dizzy. Her perfume was strong, almost choking (Naina knew a thing or two about that) the entire room in a sickly, sweet scent.

"I think we should take a lunch break," Penny suddenly said. It'd been hours. Naina had to reschedule one appointment because Penny didn't take 'get out' as an answer. "Would you like to go to Nic's café?"

"Are you inviting me to have lunch with you?"

"Yes, why, can you not?"

"No, no, I can. Just let me tidy up a few things and we can go." Naina's hunger ruled out her annoyance towards Penny.

Penny wouldn't shut up the entire way to the café. She kept droning on and on about Nic and how amazing he was. Nic was so handsome, this and that. It seemed to Naina that to Penny, Nic was saving the world.

But she didn't utter a word about her other son. The one who was actually trying to build something substantial.

Burrito crossed Naina's mind, and she smiled to herself, thinking about the cute, cuddly Corgi.

"Here we are! I've had lunch everyday here..." Again, Penny started rambling and Naina tuned her out.

Rather, her brain had short-circuited. She paused a bit too long near the door and it smacked her butt, sending her stumbling into the quiet cafe.

Ian sat a booth directly in front of the door, chowing down on a grilled cheese sandwich like his life depended on it. When he saw Naina, a smile stretched across his face; a spear spliced through her stomach and she clenched her fists.

It'd been a while since she last saw him, given the whole small town, small world business. But Deme hadn't made up that he did look a hell of a lot better without the beard.

He had sharp cheekbones, ones that created that famous five o'clock shadow on his neck. His lips, still pulled in an easy smile, were rounded in a soft way, oddly contrasting with his sharp, thick eyebrows.

Stubble dotted his cheeks, but he didn't look slovenly. If anything, it helped him look even more handsome, in a manly way.

But his smile dropped instantly.

Penny glared at her son, alarming Naina. "What're you doing here?" she asked.

Naina recognized that acid-like tone. Her own folks had used it on her every day, before she left her family for good and cut them off.

Ian sighed in a way that told Naina he was used to this. "Eating lunch. I'm allowed to do that you know."

Penny growled like a tiger. "I told you to stay out of my way—"

For the first time ever, Naina saw something in his eyes that looked like true anger. It wasn't the cozy Oscar the Grouch she'd known. Fury flashed through his eyes, turning them into a dark, shale-like stone. His voice, while deadly calm, dripped with contempt. "I am staying out of your way Penelope. You keep seeming to find me. I'm eating at my brother's place for crying out loud. Now, if you've got nothing better to do, go get your lunch and leave me alone."

She huffed and turned away, leaving Naina to follow her quickly.

After ordering soup and sandwiches, Penny chose the back most booth.

"I'm sorry you had to see that dear," she said, wiping her hands with some damp towelette.

Oh, so now I'm dear? Naina thought. "What was that about?"

"Oh nothing. I mean, Dominic's my child. But Damian..." Penny shuddered. "My husband cheated on me a long time ago with some slut and had that abomination. We've worked on our differences, my husband and I, but I can't stand Damian."