Ch. 33: Missing You

The civil papers were served on Naina a week later. Pharaoh had already moved back home; her caretaker hugged Naina, Ren and Kenny tightly before coaxing the Clydesdale into a trailer. The drive would be long for the two of them.

Naina flipped through the legal jargon on every page. Odd, how they'd chosen to go with a different lawyer instead of just doing it with Ollie. The meeting would be happening soon; if there was anything that needed to be said, Naina could send it beforehand.

Ian warned her against it. "Don't let them find out anything before you tell them. There's the chance they could cover it up or put an argument. If they're honest with their lawyers, those guys will know everything. Plus, they'll have a great counter-argument."

He thought for a second, scratched his head, and said, "I'm guessing they'll want to settle, make you 'pay' for what you did. They probably need the lawyer to scare you. I'm a little surprised that they took so long."

Summer was close to ending. Most children were back in school, while the residual heat in August had flowed over into September, slapping everyone with rays of fire.

She sighed, wishing that she was worried about fall sweets and not a settlement. "I thought they'd forgotten about it. Or at least gotten scared with what I'd said that day."

She couldn't forget the look of horror; sure, it'd only existed a moment, but at that very second, the lies she'd figured out had become cemented as true. Lauren had wanted to get back at her since college, Carmella had a role in the crashing of the wedding and Cassie had messed things up on her mom's orders.

But why had Ollie done such a thing? Naina had always gotten along with Ollie; they used to be sarcastic buddies, teasing Gigi about silly stuff.

"You want me to come with you?" he asked.

"Yes." She'd need someone else to be there, just so she wouldn't lose her wits.

Plus, she kind of wanted to see the look on Lauren's face when Ian walked in the door.

Tomorrow, they would be giving the puppies away. Already one had been adopted; Naina felt her heart drop as Tortilla was carried away in the little doggie carrier, equipped with several toys, a bag of dog food and the promise that they could get treatment from the clinic when needed.

Kenny came to her when she finished up making the small sign that would be attached to the side of the road. "So, tomorrow's the day?"

He was still wearing his scrubs and a fancy little cap that sported different animals dancing.

She nodded. "I'm kind of sad. They were my roommates for so long."

Queso, the runt of the litter, came up to her and yapped, begging to be picked up. She held him close to her, and slowly drew circles in the soft, short fur. The pup wiggled around until he showed her his belly.

"It'll be alright," Kenny said.

"I hope so." Her voice cracked a bit. "It's just a little sad to see them go."

"Yeah?"

She nodded again, not really wanting to talk.

The next day, bright and early at eight in the morning, she set up the sign and put up the portable fenced area for the pups to play in, while they waited for their families to come.

One by one each pup left with their owners until three were left: Taco, Beef-Bone and Queso.

The only ones who hadn't been picked by a family were Queso and Beef-Bone. Both were a little smaller from the rest, and Beef-Bone had an issue with her back paw and how it didn't exactly align properly. Kenny had done his best to see if he could rectify it but said that it was best for the pup to let it stay as is.