~8~ The... Incident

Cameron POV
~Edited~

All practice Anna was waving at me, cheering for me, laughing at me, and yelling jokes at me while I was playing. I would say it was annoying and I played at my worst because I was distracted but... that's not exactly what happened.

I did so well that coach told me to bring her around more often so that I could play this good every day. Add that to the list of things I'm not admitting to her. Fueling her ego would not be a very smart move.

After leaving the shower I saw Anna and Lizzy talking near the bleachers. I knew that definitely wasn't a good sign, so I walked over there and hoped that Lizzy kept all food items where they're supposed to stay.

Carter and I started talking when we left the locker room since we were going the same direction. It felt nice, I hadn't talked to him in ages and even though I was kind of, sort of, trying to find information that would probably ruin him and his family's business and may or may not land him in jail, I still thought of him as a friend.

The first thing I heard when I got there was, "Cameron, come tame your lion."

I laughed, and the other two who weren't in on the inside joke just stood there confused.

"Well hello to you too Anna," I smirked at her.

"Hey, Cam! I know the breakup was pretty nasty and public, but we didn't get the chance to talk. I was hoping we could stay friends and just talk about what happened." Elizabeth said, successfully squashing any conversation Anna and I were planning to have in front of them and plastering on her signature smile to finish it off.

"Sure Lizzy, just let me know when you want to talk and we can." I honestly didn't want to talk to Elizabeth, but my stupid kindness got in the way. I didn't want to turn her down for no good reason.

That's not what I needed to be focusing on right now though. This was when we put our plan into action, and I had to make sure I did what I was supposed to. First, we had to make sure we had the club meeting date right.

"Hey Carter, do you wanna come to my house to play video games after I drop Anna home?"

"Nah, I can't today man. I have that club remember? The one that was 'too complicated' for you?" He chuckled.

"Right... yeah I forgot about that." I ran my hands through my hair as though I just remembered that they had their "club" today. "Maybe another time then?"

"Maybe," He responded with a laugh.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow man!" I said waving at Carter and nodding my head in Elizabeth's direction.

I slung my arm around Anna's shoulders as we turned and walked away.

"Step one: complete," I said holding up my hand for a high five.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

We followed Lizzy and Carter into the school library, which was convenient for us because they were less likely to see us there with the many places to hide. We hid behind a bookshelf and started to listen to what was going on.

"Hi everyone! How're you guys doing today?" Elizabeth asked with a cheery smile. It seemed as though she was the leader of... whatever this is.

Instead of everyone answering with "Hi" or "Good" all we heard was a chorus of "Cut the crap Lizzy", "Where's the stuff?", and "My folks are getting anxious".

Elizabeth's expression went from a wide bright smile to a pissed off expression. People were still yelling things at her and demanding the "stuff" that they were promised.

"EVERYONE SHUT THE HELL UP!"

It was terrifying how fast everyone quieted down.

"As you all know since the... incident-"

Incident? What Incident? I wonder if Anna knows what they're talking about.

"-the... stuff you all want has been very hard to come by."

"Seriously Lizzy? We've been doing this for over 2 years it's not like anyone's listening. Just say weed."

It seemed like everyone in the room agreed that she should just 'call it what it was' based on their murmurs of approval.

Elizabeth took a deep breath before speaking again, but I'm not sure it did much.

"I don't like calling it weed because it's much different than weed. You all know what this stuff does to you. It's almost impossible to go through withdrawal after getting addicted without dying —even with medical help—, the effects are much stronger, and you can get completely high off of it by just the smell of it. So I'm sorry, Tim, that I don't like calling it such a simple name."

She spoke with the most anger I've heard in her voice ever. We dated for almost 3 years and even when she was mad at me I never heard her talk like this... It was actually kind of unnerving.

I think Anna was thinking the same as me because we made eye contact and she looked genuinely scared.

"What she means-" Carter cut in before the situation could escalate any further, "-is that this drug is bigger than all of us and we can't risk getting in trouble for it. We can't just send it to your houses anymore. We got away with it the first time but now we're on thin ice. Just tell your parents to be patient if they want to keep their jobs, reputations, and money."

Everyone in the room nodded their heads slowly in understanding.

"Ok, everyone! Now let's get the ping pong table out so we can practice for the actual club and teachers don't get suspicious, Kay?" Elizabeth's furious attitude was gone as quickly as it came as she took charge again.

"Go into that room over there." I pointed at a door at the far end of the library, away from where the other kids were playing ping pong.

"Okay... are you going to tell me what's going on?" I questioned Anna as soon as we got into the room and I was sure we were out of earshot of the others.

"I didn't know about this weird mutant weed thing I thought they were just dealing regular weed. This is why Tyson had us do this. To confirm any suspicions he had."

"Suspicions about what?"

"Suspicions about why and how they did what they did. I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you what they're doing with that weird weed mutant thing."

"What are they doing with it?"

She didn't answer immediately so I asked her again.

"Anna... what are they doing with the weed?"

A/N
Hey guys!

Did you like the cliffhanger I put there?

What do you guys think they're going to do with the weed?

How do you think Anna and Cameron are going to get out of the Library?

What do you think is going on with Elizabeth?

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! It had some mentions of weed and drugs as you can tell and the next will as well. Sorry if you aren't comfortable with that sort of thing but a lot of the book revolves around this concept.

Vote and comment for more :)

Bye loves~
Syd.