Chapter 16 - Road Trip

Practice had just finished when everyone was sent to the locker room to get change. Everyone else was already preoccupied to see both of the coaches coming into the locker room.

Coach Sheen had blown his whistle, allowing Coach Taylor to speak over the newly found silence.

"I would like to remind everyone that the coach leaves at 8:30 sharp and we expect every one of you to arrive with ample time to spare this Friday." Coach Taylor reminded everyone.

Coach Sheen continued. "Anybody who does not arrive on time will be left behind and therefore won't join us the 2 day trip to see the Penguins versus the Cheetahs."

"As all of the arrangements are provided for you, by the school, we expect everyone to comply with the arrangements and the itinerary scheduled." Coach Taylor finished off.

As they both departed, both teams were amped up with excitement for the trip. As far as both teams were away, Principle Thompson had arranged a professional contract where the Penguins provided a mentoring program that supports the Ravens in any upcoming endeavours. And as they had close connections with Stonebrook Academy, Principal Thompson managed to include the Eagles on the trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~

And so, several days later, it was the day of the trip when both the Ravens and the Eagles were waiting by the coach at the designated time. Huddled around the entrance as a large group, they all awaited further instructions.

"To save all of the trouble and earache of organising who sits where, who rooms where and all that other time wasting crap, we believe we've made an easy quick way to sort it all out for you." Coach Taylor announced.

Coach Taylor passed a large bowl for Adrian to hold, filled with scraps of paper.

"What's this for?" Adrian had asked his coach.

"Each seat on the coach is assigned a random number. Everyone will take a number out of the bowl and sit in the corresponding seat. Whoever you sit next to will be your roommate for the next 2 days." Coach Taylor declared.

While both teams were murmuring amongst each other, Adrian whispered to his coach.

"Is this really necessary? Can't we just pick our own seat and roommate? What if we get paired with someone we hate?" Adrian had asked.

Coach Taylor ignored everything Adrian had asked. "The clock is ticking, let's get going, and onto on the bus."

Adrian watched as every single person, other than himself, picked a number from the bowl and sit in their seat. As the last one in, Adrian was forced into the only available space. Making his way through the narrow passageway, the last seat was towards the back.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Adrian said out loud.

Brody was practically beaming at Adrian. "Hi roomie!"

Adrian quickly looked around and saw Adam who was sitting next to Callum.

'Of course they get an easy person to share a room with.'

He went over to them and addressed the pair. "Hey Callum, you mind swapping with me?"

Although Callum would usually help anyone who asked for his help. "Sorry Adrian, but umm, Coach Sheen is staring right at us..."

Adrian turned his head and saw it for himself. Withdrawing on the spot, Adrian was forced to sit back down by Brody.

Once he sat down by the window, Brody whispered to him. "You know, I feel like you managed to rig this so that you would get me alone..."