Chapter 60 - Honesty

Dinner was served as the enormous feast was on the table. A mouthwatering turkey was the centrepiece of today's meal. A mountain of mashed potatoes was also served, along with stuffing, a mixed vegetable casserole, green beans and corn, cranberry sauce, gravy and bread rolls.

Adrian sat besides his mother, intercepting the spot so that he was also besides Julian, and across from Brody.

They were about to dig in when Julian decided to make a speech. Clinking the knife against his glass, "I just wanted to say that I'm glad we could all be here today, to celebrate this joyous occasion. It's a shame that not everybody could be here today, but I'm glad that we still have the time for each other, when we are allowed to see each other of course."

Everybody looked around the table, confused about that last bit of the sentence. But Sally looked away as she just accepted it.

"To spending more time as a family." While everyone seemed to cheer with their glasses, Sally just drank her large glass of wine and ignored Julian's speech.

Adrian reached for his mother's hand that was on the table, and gave it a loving squeeze. Sally looked back at her son and her heart bloomed because of that action.

After mouthing a 'thank you,' they all began to start eating.

~~~~~~~~~~

The conversation at the table was uplifting after the speech. Susie's husband had video called them and apologised for not making it, being called up abroad at last minute. Everyone had complimented the chef's cooking, who had to thank her 2 helpers for today. Things became more exciting when Sally talked to her sister about planning another trip to Europe together, some time after Christmas.

Julian began talking to Adrian again, still at the dinner table as everybody was still eating. "You need to eat more son, so you're strong like your dad was."

Adrian watched as Julian added some more turkey onto his plate, stating that protein was good for him. "Can you tell me more about my dad?" It had been over 12 years since his dad passed away and since Adrian was young when he died, his memories of him became less clearer.

Julian lightened up about reminiscing over his precious and beloved son. "Well when he was your age, he was on a lot of teams - sports, academic, and even extra curricular activities. He was very bright, handsome, and you remind me of him every time I see a picture of you. The resemblance is uncanny."

Adrian felt emotional about his father being spoken so well about. "That makes me like the opposite of him then." Adrian laughed, with him feeling a little bit of sad bittersweet inside of him.

"You've still got plenty of time son, you inherited your good looks from him. Plus you're still young, probably a heartbreaker just like him."

Adrian looked back at his grandad, interested. "He was a heartbreaker?"

Julian laughed at remembering all the different girls that used to ask him out after a match. "There were always a lot of girls who were interested in him. He should have explored those options more when he was younger, maybe things could have been different."

Adrian didn't understand, "What do you mean by that?"

"Calvin shouldn't have been tied down so soon, he was 22 when he had to put everything on hold, and become a father and a husband."

Learning about his grandfather's perspective about his father, Adrian felt intimidated under the aggression from Julian's voice.

"What are you suggesting, like he was forced into all of this?"