Chapter 35 - Ollie

Adrian had been volunteering at the animal shelter for a couple of months now, and he's been loving it ever since.

At first it was just to help build up his character profile on paper, to show people more of his competent and reliable side.

But then he ended up sticking around longer than expected, to help look after the needy animals that he cared for deeply.

Every animal at the shelter had their own story, some were more unfortunate than the others. So Adrian made sure he spent some time with all of the animals, spreading the love that he had for them all.

After changing the hay bedding for the rabbits, he went round the pens to feed all of the animals and refill their water bowls. Adrian then had to go round and clean up any waste and litter around the shelter.

Now that he finished with his usual jobs, he got to have fun and play with the animals. But there was one particular animal that Adrian had a special bond with.

He went to the play pen area, with only one dog there at the moment. And immediately Ollie dashed towards him, wagging his tail in the process.

"Hey baby!" Adrian cooed as he stroked Ollie's head.

Ollie was a mix breed between a Dachshund and a Maltese. After being admitted for being malnourished, underweight and mistreated by his owners, Ollie was a very scared, slightly older dog.

It took time before Ollie gained his weight back to become healthy, and Ollie became more energetic and friendly as he was getting looked after properly.

When Adrian first saw the state Ollie was in, his heart sank. Adrian wanted to make Ollie better, he was hateful to the people who would deliberately mistreat any harmless animals.

So he took extra time when looking after him, playing with him so he would become less shy over time.

And it worked, whenever Adrian was around Ollie was as excited as any other happy, affectionate dog.

"I missed you Ollie." Adrian sweetly expressed as he gave Ollie a treat, who was happily barking out loud before nibbling on the biscuit. "Sorry I haven't been here as much as before."

"Ollie missed you too." Shelly, the manager of the shelter, told Adrian as she watched them both play around. "This little fella is always so excited when you're here."

Ollie was chasing after Adrian's hands as he waved them around, getting Ollie to follow them to try and high five them.

"Who's such a good boy?" Adrian kissed the top of Ollie's head before he start rubbing Ollie's belly.

Ollie laid on his back as Adrian was still being affectionate towards him. Both of them were all too happy being around each other. Their energies bounced off each other, making the pair a great duo.

"Did anyone come and see him?" Adrian asked Shelly.

Shelly gave him a disappointing look. Adrian just wanted someone to take care of Ollie, he's been at the shelter for a while now and still no one wanted him. "How come you still won't adopt him Adrian? You clearly came about Ollie."

Adrian looked at Ollie, feeling sad that he may not be able to give Ollie the kind of home he needed. He wanted to, so desperately, but he was genuinely unsure if he would make a good dog owner for Ollie. It was just the matter of if he had enough time to look after Ollie properly, and if he can afford to give Ollie everything he needed.

So Adrian tried to make it up to Ollie by spending as much time as he could with him while they were still together.

~~~~~~~~~~