Chapter Nine

I woke up to beeping sounds and a body next to me on my hospital bed. I shifted to look at the mystery person, who was obviously Ruel, and cried out in pain. He moved. "You're awake!" He exclaimed and immediately kissed me on the lips. I smiled, but then winced because that hurt too.

"What happened? Where are Ellie and my parents?" I asked, trying to get up. He refused to let me move and grabbed my water for me, explaining "I told them to go home and rest. You've been out for four days."

I shot up in bed, ignoring the pain. "You were supposed to leave two days ago!" That meant it was Saturday. Shoot! I was supposed to be at Ellie's soccer game. I grabbed my phone, which ruel immediately took from me. "Shh... it's all right. Nate was more than understanding, and wanted to stay awhile longer anyways. Turns out he's met someone too."

"Oh? Who is-" I started, but was cut off by a coughing fit. My heart rate monitor started to beep, and ruel, who was panicking, ran for a nurse.

By the time everything was better, two hours had passed and my family was on their way. I woke up from my brief nap to see ruel crying. What was wrong? "Ruel?" I asked, confused and concerned.

He looked up and shook his head, saying it was nothing, but came and laid down next to me in bed at my insistence. He then began to talk. "I was scared-" he started, crying again, "-scared I was gonna lose you."

(fuck I'm cringing as i reread this)

At this I smashed my mouth onto his, trying to silence his thoughts, but he only sobbed harder. By this point we were both pretty sad, but I kept trying to pull him out of it. Finally, he seemed ready to talk. "Cassie, I really like you. When you got attacked I felt as if my life was falling apart and I knew that if I lost you I would never be happy again knowing I caused you harm. I knew in that moment that if you woke up I had to ask you something so I would have no regrets."

I looked up at him. "Cassie, will you be my girlfriend?"

I didn't respond; I just immediately kissed him square on the mouth. After a second he deepened the kiss and, of course, Ellie walked in to our full-on make out session. "Oh!" She said, and walked over to a chair. "Mom and dad are coming down the hallway right now." She said, and I quickly untangled my hands from his hair and smoothed the wrinkles out of my shirt. But it was too late. Mom walked in with a huge grin on her face and gave ruel a big hug. Dad had this weird look on his face where he couldn't decide what to say to ruel. He looked like he wanted to kill him but also hug him at the same time. Instead he just nodded at him and came over to see me.

Just then, the nurse came in. "Cassandra West, right?" I nodded. "Once your heart rate and blood pressure are stable for twenty one hours you can leave. It had been less than an hour. I nodded.

I turned to ruel as she left. "You should go home, get some rest." He shook his head. My mom urged him on, saying he could borrow her car to drive back if he needed one. My eyes got wide. Mom didn't even do that for me. Ruel shook his head, saying, "Mrs. West, I really appreciate it, but I couldn't do that; it's yours and I don't want anything to happen to it and-"

She cut him off, saying, "please, call me Eleanor." She leaned in and whispered, "I have the feeling you won't be leaving this one behind any time soon." and wiggled her eyebrows, but it did not have the desired effect and we all laughed. Pretty soon, three hours had passed and I noticed ruel getting really tired. I forced him to go home, saying I wouldn't date him if he didn't go home.

Everyone gasped and I realized we hadn't told anybody. "Oops..." I said and he kissed me on the head, laughing. Ellie's eyes got really wide. "Cassandra is your girlfriend?" I nodded and smiled happily, taking his hand. "Have you told people yet?"

"No, he asked me out right before you got here actually. Please don't tell people for now, not until this all calms down, okay?" I asked her, and she promised not to say anything until we agreed.

-Time Skip: Three days-

I had gotten home yesterday evening and Charlie and Isabella immediately came over and spent the night. I told them everything about ruel and they were so happy. They immediately took my phone and facetimed him. We talked for a while and then ruel had to go to the recording studio at Spotify headquarters to record a cover of Pretty Thing by Dizzy (a/n: great song you should listen to it) and we laughed and talked until three, when we finally got into bed. I woke up a few hours later and was super thirsty so I took my phone down to the kitchen and got water. I was scrolling through instagram and noticed ruel was active so I called him. He answered on the first ring. "Hey babe... what do we do about that girl who attacked you? I talked to Nate and he came up with a few ideas."

"Sure!" I said, listening.

"So here's the plan"...

_______________________________________________________

yeet 950 words

okay bye I'm gonna go now :)

I feel like this channels my inner crackhead

okay bye