Chapter Twenty Four

"Flight 3940 to JFK International Airport is boarding now at Gate 37 in Terminal D"

I sigh, and get up from my seat. Ruel tries to pull me back down, but I push his hands off of me. "Babe, I need to go."

"But-" 

I shake my head at him. "I'll see you soon, and we can facetime every day. I know it'll be hard, but we've got this. I love you, Ruel." I say, looking into his eyes.

He nods. "I know babe. Love you too," he says, and pulls me in for a hug, kissing the top of my head. We stay there for a minute, but then I see everyone waving for me to go, and he hands me my suitcase.

We walk over to the boarding line and he mindlessly talks about random stuff as we move towards the gate. I can tell he's bummed that I'm leaving, though, so I don't question it. He grabs my hand and we hold hands as the gate attendant checks me in, and when she tells him he can't go on the plane he holds my hand until I've really gotta go. 

"I love you, Cassandra," he says with a soft, sad smile.

"I love you."

_____________________________________________________________

The flight is long, and I can't sleep at all. I can't call Ruel, since I've got no cellular and we're flying across the Atlantic Ocean, and the flight's out of ginger beer, so I resort to watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on the seatback screen. None of the dresses are all that pretty and most of them are adorned with big fake rhinestones or white feathers that make the brides-to-be look like big bird.

If I  were getting married, I'd have a completely different dress. It would be white, with lace and a sweetheart neckline and a trumpet-cut tulle skirt. I've been planning my perfect wedding since I was twelve, so I've got high standards. Not that it matters right now. 

"Why so sad, Cassie?" I hear Isa say, and I look up at her and smile. 

"Just missing Ruel. It's nothing, but-" I begin, but she cuts me off.

"Girl, it's okay. You're allowed to miss him; he is your boyfriend." she says, and I smile. 

"Wanna watch "Say Yes to the Dress with me?" I ask her with a grin.

"No."  She says, looking disgusted. "But I will watch American Horror Story."

"Isn't that the show with the butcher that goes around trying to kill everyone?"

"Among other things..." she says, grinning.

"Bitch, you know I don't watch horror." I say, and an elderly lady shushes me. "Sorry," I whisper back and Isa snorts. "What about "Barbie Life in a Dreamhouse?" I ask her, and she nods.

"Scoot over!" she says, and I laugh and we then watch twelve hours of it. 

___________________________________________________

"We're nearing JFK International Airport now. Please return to your seat, stow your traytables, and put your chairs in the upright position. Thank you for flying American Airlines from Paris-Charles de Gaulle International Airport."

(yall I'm not that smart i had to look up the airport)

"Who knew they had five seasons of that?" Isa says, laughing.

"How the fuck are you still awake?" I whisper. I've never been able to sleep on planes, but our all-nighter- or whatever the fuck time it is since we're on a plane- is making me reconsider.

She laughs it off and moves to her seat and I close my eyes and I try to get some shut-eye time in before we land.

Before I know it, we've gone through customs and are walking out the arrivals door and I see my parents and sister waiting with... a dog?

"Cass!" Ellie yells and jogs over to me. My dad hugs me and grabs my suitcase as my mom walks over with the dog.

"Uh, mom, who's this? Also, I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have dogs in here," I say, and see a security guard heading our way.

My mom hightails it out the door and when we finally catch up to her at the car she grins sheepishly. "Sorry. This is Thumper!"

I look at my dad in shock and furrow my eyebrows. "I thought you didn't want a dog?" I ask, confused.

He shoots me a look. "I still don't, but he's sweet enough that I'm willing to go along with it. Don't remind me, though, or I might change my mind. Your mom tricked me into this, though."

I laugh with Ellie while Mom grins at my pouting father. It's so nice to be home again. Tour was fun, but being with my family again is so nice. I don't get homesick, but I sure am glad to be back, even though I miss Ruel.

Ruel!

I don't see any snaps or texts from him, so I check my Instagram as we get into the car to see if he's sent me anything. 

He hasn't.

I check my feed next, and what I see brings a smile to my face. 

(oops i didn't change the profile pic anyway)

I comment "love you," and turn my phone off and smile to myself.

"How was Europe, Cassie?" Ellie asks me, and the conversation picks up from there.

______________________________________________

sorry for taking a while again i had writer's block

remember to check for updates, i post on Tuesdays or Fridays every week!

also idk abt y'all but the insta post isn't coming up on my wattpad so whatever just pretend it did

if you ever need to talk, I'm here!

see you next week with chapter 25!