Chapter Twenty

"I'm sorry. I assumed I knew what was going on, and that was wrong," she says.

I'm beyond confused. How would she know? She wouldn't even let me tell her. 

As if she's reading my mind, she continues speaking. "Michelle gave me the security footage. I feel horrible. I'm so sorry for hurting you, but I'm also sorry for what you went through with that psycho fan. And of course, in my traditional style, I barged in and didn't ask questions and went ape-shit on you..." she says, looking me straight in the eyes.

I smile. That's Cass for you. I can't even stay mad at her because she's funny and sweet and amazing. When I was drunk, I realized I love her, and when I told Coco, she didn't seem surprised and she wasn't disapproving even though I've only known Cass for a little while. She said she already knew, which only solidified my feelings. As sad as I was, I just want her back. I realize she's still looking at me as if she wants to say something.

Her eyes flit to my lips and she says, "Can I, uh, kiss you?" I grin and step forward and our lips meet. My hands quickly travel to her waist and I pull her closer until there's no room between us. She bites my lower lip softly and I groan as she moves her hands from my upper back to my hair and lightly tugs on the ends. 

After what feels like only a second I'm pulling away for air. She rearranges her dress and I try to hand-comb my hair back into its usual position.

"Wait, so is Nate coming or not?" I ask.

"No, silly! Anyway, I have some more to tell you," she says, taking on a more serious tone, "so will you come to sit with me so I can explain?" she responds. I nod, confused, and follow her to the fort.

~Cassandra's POV~

I shift uncomfortably on the mattress Charli and I dragged in here. "Connor, uh, my ex..." I start. I still don't like talking about him after how he treated me. Ruel gives me an encouraging nod and I clear my throat to try again. 

"We dated for a year and two months. And he-" I take a deep breath and start talking. "He cheated on me. A lot." I cringe. I sound like I have the vocabulary of a kindergartener.

"Babe, if you're a kindergartener, I'm a toddler," Ruel says, and I laugh. "You're amazing, Cass, and you can do this. But I'll have you know, if I run into him in the street-"

I laugh again. Ruel's really the best. "Wait a second, did I say that out loud?" He nods and manages to keep a straight face for about two seconds before laughing and kissing the top of my head. "Anyway," I begin when we finally stop laughing, "He cheated a lot, and we broke up a lot, but I always forgave him. The last time, though, he tried to cheat on me with Ellie..." I say.

I see Ruel's eyes flash with anger through the tears clouding my vision that I didn't know were spilling out of my eyes and down my face.

~Ruel's POV~

My eyes flash with anger and Cass practically dissolves into a pool of tears as she tells me how this asshole hurt my girl. 

Cheating is terrible. But trying to cheat with your girl's younger sister? Now that's a new low. I grab her kleenex and she blows her nose. "Sorry."

I shake my head. "You're fine. Connor, however, won't be if I find him..."

She laughs. "You said that before. Anyway, I'm really sorry... I guess I just jumped to conclusions with you, too." she says. 

I nod, understanding what she's saying. "Babe, I missed you too much to be mad. Plus, you had a point, because I know what it looked like, and obviously that asshat would make trusting anybody hard." I say, seething. 

She kisses me softly and my anger evaporates. "Wanna watch a movie?"

_________________________________________________________

We watch Tangled, which I couldn't care less about, but it's Cassie's favorite movie, and watching her smile is the best part of it. 

She stops the movie as the credits begin rolling. "Wanna dance? I brought a speaker."

I smile and nod. "With you, I'd love to."

_________________________________________________________

okay so that's chapter twenty! sorry, I had exams and I've been super busy but another chapter is coming either tonight or tomorrow. i don't have much written after the next chapter since I have major writer's block but i will try to update quickly since it's summer and everything i had planned is canceled because of quarantine.

stay safe, stay home, and stay six feet apart! it's the only way to prevent the spread of the virus.

also, please wear a mask.

okay that's all bye for now!

@ ruelvvd.fanaccount