Chapter 4 : His new world

"Ah, Helmuth, I remember those old days

"Ah, Helmuth, I remember those old days... How memorable, how memorable," Geoffrey sighed, strolling from the kitchen with Mr. Chisel. It seemed to both Ermand and Jack that they must be talking about their weird, old past.

"At least say goodbye to Mr. Coop, both of you. He's departing," Mrs. Chisel whispered to the boys. She stole a glance at the men exchanging their final pleasantries.

"Goodbye, Mr. Coop. Hope to see you soon! " both of them sang in league.

Mr. Coop's thin, pale lips widened into a grin as he glanced at the boys. His eyes sank between his black, furry eyebrows and raised pink cheekbones.

"Haha! See ya soon, kiddos!"

Mr. Coop stepped out of the house quietly. Mr. and Mrs. Chisel waved at him.

"Now, you should be getting ready, Ermand," Mr. Chisel reminded him as his eyes found the tiny black clock. It was eight past ten.

As Mrs. Chisel heard her husband, she turned at them, frowning.

"I should have known it. Jack, get yourself ready. Ermie, you too."

She hurried into the kitchen and Jack climbed up the wooden stairs. Ermand stood there, he couldn't believe that the reality of him going to Agledon finally dawned upon him.

"I think you should get yourself ready, Ermand," Mrs. Chisel from the kitchen, noticing him staring at the floor.

Ermand cut his gaze from the floor, nodded at her and immediately climbed up the stairs. He was blocked by Jason on his way up. He was ready in his ironed, college uniform. He even carried his satchel stuffed with books.

Why would anyone carry so many books on the very first day of the year? Ermand thought.

"Feeling excited, are we?" Jason quipped, scanning Ermand top to bottom.

"Anyone would be..."

He smirked and climbed down past Ermand, leaving Ermand staring after him.

Why do I feel like I got more than what I deserve? he thought.

"I don't want this. I'll eat at the college cafeteria. I'm off. Bye!"

Downstairs, the kitchen walls echoed Jason's shrieky voice that could shatter all of the glass in the kitchen. Ermand sighed and walked toward his room. He grabbed a notebook covered by a thick lavender-coloured paper and a tiny bottle of black ink along with a wooden pen. Just in case.

"Psst!"

Ermand turned toward the doorway to see Jack sneaking into his room.

"What is it, Jack?"

He brought his finger to his lips.

"Have you got your things ready?" he whispered.

"Yes."