Chapter 31 : The test

"What are guys doing?" Ermand asked Timothy, whose hands were sunk in the pink sand

"Where were you both?"

"We just took a while to leave the room. What is all this?"

"There are two-hundred students in the whole first year Defense department and there are equal crystals that are differently coloured. These are deeply sunk in this sand. The first crystal that we get is our possession and cannot be replaced. Professor Chisel said this will be needed for our coming challenging tests."

"What's the point of these crystals?"

"Don't know, but he said the crystals aren't actually sunk in the sand rather in some deep void but the crystal gets attracted to its true owner. We're given an early chance compared to those who come from their home. You're lucky on your first day in the dorm. Let's find out now."

Ermand slowly and doubtfully sunk his hands in the pile of pink sand. He felt difficult to move his hands around.

"I can't move my hands," He whispered to Charlie, who was near him. His hands were nearing the tip of the sand dune.

"You're a dullard. You don't even have to push both of your hands deep into the sand or sink your hand until your elbow, mate. Look at me."

Ermand carefully watched Timothy's slow movements with his hand that was sunk only till his wrist.

"Alright," Ermand said, pulling out his arms until his wrist.

"Gotcha little fellow!" Charlie cried of joy.

A purple coloured crystal with eleven faces that fit perfectly in his palm shone as a beam of light struck against one of its surfaces.

"We'll, I don't know what that colour means. It's pretty good-looking though," he shrugged and slowly headed back to the mess hall.

"I've got this pale yellow coloured. Looks like onyx," Timothy said, opening his palm.

"I'll see what I'll get."

Ermand tried wriggling his hands inside the sand dune. Finally, some sharp object fitted inside his palms. He immediately pulled out his hand and opened his palm. A colourless crystal shone brilliantly in his palms.

"Wow! It looks amazing," Edwin gasped.

"It does," Ermand told himself. He expected some coloured crystal but that's what he got.

What could this mean about me?

After dinner, Ermand slowly sunk in his bed, his eyes casted on the ceiling.

"Hey, Edwin. You didn't even introduce yourself to us," Charlie slanted from his bed, his torso against the soft quilt.

"I-I'm a Scettrian."