Chapter 46 : The struggle for escape

"No, no!" Ermand screamed at the top of his voice

Think proper. Some kind of spell should help me.

"Giant expulseon!" He cried, producing heavy force from his hands that pushed apart everything close to him. The Ficklefolks were all thrown apart with the force while Ermand chanted vertella vertaine to cut the vines that had bound him to the ground.

"Mesmerize him!" The leader ordered the Ficklefolks nearest to Ermand.

Ermand stood up on the ground despite the pain stinging in his leg and staggered toward the woods far to him. He heard the Ficklefolks shouting and roaring behind him but kept on running toward the thicket. When he finally reached the woods, he hid himself behind a group of wild bushes and slowed down his breathing.

I'm safe.

He heard the Ficklefolks hunting for him. He made sure that no sound escaped from his mouth or from his actions while thinking of a proper solution.

Just as he was sunk in deep thoughts, an idea shot across his mind.

The Preparer!

He pulled the piece of bread from his pocket and remembered what Charlie had instructed him. It gives him a new self while both of his body functions normally but he'll have more control of the new body that will be invisible to the others.

Ermand ate the piece of bread that tasted a little bitter to his tongue. In a short while, he felt himself deviating from his own body, he felt as if he had no weight holding him down.

This is the moment!

After his new body was formed from his existing one, Ermand shot up from the bushes without making the slightest sound and around the woods in search of a water body, because the last time he saw his crystal, it was near a stream.

He gradually felt his energy was drained by each stride he took. Although he was feeling weaker and weaker, he couldn't give up running when his eyes were on a bird bathing enthusiastically in the lake.

I've made it.

He flumped on the dry grass, panting heavily. He sighed of exhaustion when he saw something glinted on the flat and fleshy leaf stuck between the claws of a drowsing Griffin. He was more dispirited when he saw the silhouette of the river serpent gliding under the water.

But then he thought. If he was transparent, neither the serpent nor the Griffin could see him only when he made sure that he made no sound or recognizable actions that'd disturb the creatures or raise suspicion in them.

Without wasting any moment, Ermand prepared himself to dive quietly into the lake and swam across, holding his breath. He had heard that Griffins have extreme sensing capability, so he didn't want to risk his only option.