Chapter 25 : A bolt out of the blue

"Damien is Ingolf's second son! Won't you spare us a day without creating trouble for us?" Jason yelled, getting up from the stairs he sat a while ago

Mr. Chisel pulled his hand into the air.

"You don't understand, dad! You think that the problems he had created for us just popped out of nowhere? He's determined to distress us!"

"Jason, please."

"But dad..."

This time, Ermand knew Jason had every right to taunt him and the reason why Jack didn't come to his rescue. It was all his fault, he should've kept quiet.

"Forgive me all of you. Tomorrow, no matter what, I'll try to change Damien's decision. I'll pay the price I had neglected when--"

"What was the reason for fighting with him?" For the first time in Ermand's life, Mr. Chisel asked him a question in a stern voice.

"He jeered and hurt an innocent boy belonging to the low clan. It made me unsteady when I saw it happening before my eyes."

"As if you're the one to save everybody from the discourteous acts of the high clans," Jason muttered with a mocking chuckle.

"It harassed me mentally."

"So, you're going to beg before Damien tomorrow?" Jack finally opened his mouth.

Ermand nodded. His eyes were fixed on the floor.

"I won't let you," Jack stated.

"Excellent brother! Let me guess now... Yes, you'll probably take the blame and beg at your knees before the Qorder to save your brother from lowering himself over anybody, huh?"

"Jason, stop. This is not the time for your funny assertions. Ermand, you did not do anything wrong with your actions--"

"I just can't believe this. You'll praise him even if he set fire in this house!" Jason roared before climbing up the stairs and slamming shut the door to his room.

"Forget him. Ermie, we don't belong to the high clan or the upper-middle clan. We couldn't stand up for anybody, we can't even stand for ourselves."

"Yes, dad. But I'll fulfill my promise," Ermand replied, climbing into the stairs.

That night, he couldn't sleep. He didn't want to go to college. He wished he remained in the house like he used to before he received the Marene's ball.

"I'm telling you, you don't have to do this," Jack's dark figure stood between the door frame in the low light that lit the space outside Ermand's small room.

"I'm eighteen, Jack."

"And I'm twenty. I know--"

"I don't want to be in the shade anymore. If I have to face it, I just have to. No one could protect me forever."