Chapter 18 : The note is missing

The next day, Ermand was the most excited young man in the whole of Tawarn

The next day, Ermand was the most excited young man in the whole of Tawarn. Unusual to the normal days, he woke up early in the morning to pack up his satchel with some books and other stuff. After taking a bath, he immediately went to grab the high professor's note from the pocket of his jeans before Mrs. Chisel took them to wash.

He reminded himself that he should keep it with him everyday. His hands wandered every corner of the tiny pocket, but he didn't find the note!

Slowly, he felt his pulse racing. Ermand ran to the kitchen, where Mrs. Chisel was preparing an early breakfast before the boys went to college, and her husband to work.

"Mum, have you seen a small note in the side pocket of my jeans that I wore on the first day at Agledon?" he asked, drops of sweat formed on his forehead.

She turned from the side of the sink with a cutlery levitating in the air according to her hand gestures.

"No, Ermie. I hadn't even taken your jeans from the place where you kept it. Any problems dear?"

Ermand mused for a moment before answering. He was slowly getting worried because that was his only hope.

"Nothing. I-I just asked if I could wear it today. I wore the other pair yesterday," he tried acting calm.

"Don't worry, Helmuth bought you a new pair yesterday. Now you'll have three pairs of jeans. I'll take it for you, wait."

Ermand wet his lips before nodding and following her.

If the notes aren't with mum or in the pocket, where else could it be?

"Ermie, come. Here's your new pair!"

Ermand blinked rapidly and turned toward their shabby, old wardrobe.

"Why did you ask him to buy this? I've already told you that I'll buy a new one once I get money from the café."

"No, Ermie. This is a gift from our side. We wanted to keep this as a surprise but it didn't go well. Also, tell your master that you won't be able to work full time there."

"I'll try. He's a grumpy man, I don't think he will ever listen to that. I might have to work extra hours at night, but I'm okay--"

"No. I won't let you work extra time at night! What's his name?"

"Goffinald Rauffin."

"Whoever he is! I'm not going to let my son work for a long time, he's got college to attend. He need to study and--"

"I'll be fired then."

"Then let him fire you!"

Mrs. Chisel almost shouted. This response from her was unexpected for Ermand, he had never seen her as spontaneously furious as then.