Chapter 44 : The last test

"The DCT is near

"The DCT is near. Two more days to go," Emile rememinded Charlie and Ermand, handing them a thick book of spells. "They're kind of advanced but very handy."

Charlie and Ermand had been engrossed in the book, trying to learn the best and the easiest of spells they could find. Meanwhile, their rival, Alfreda Trainor has gained her Aslehm but none knew what her Aslehm was except for the Professors. She was always a woman who hated being with people, she mostly spent her time alone. The boys were amused about what fears she might've overcome. She had also passed without the slightest scratch on her in the second DCT.

There were a total of twenty-eight students waiting for their final DCT. Each and everyone of them were trying to keep away the negative thoughts and focus on ways to survive and finish the test.

One day, Professor Spears rushed into their classroom.

"Students who haven't completed their DCT, please assemble immediately in the Trainor's hall," she said.

"Ermand," Charlie pulled him from behind. "I've mixed the Preparer along with this piece of bread. Hide it in your pocket, now."

Ermand was surprised at Charlie's words. However, he did as Charlie told and quietly followed the Professor to the Trainor's hall. As they entered the hall, it looked like a post war battlefield. Twenty eight equal sized burrows were dug on the floor while the Professors stood at the edge of the wall opposite to the students.

"All of you, crawl down into any of the burrows when I call your names," Professor Qorder said, brushing his palm against his tuft of hair and staring at the parchment in one of his hands.

"Duxter Estrel."

"Hey, you know what a Preparer does, right?" Charlie whispered.

"No."

Charlie rolled his eyes. "Are you indeed the brother of Jackson Chisel?"

"Tell me."

"Okay, when you eat the bread. Another copy of your body is formed, that is, both of your bodies function differently at the same time although you mostly control the new you. It is called a para-individual. You're getting me right?"

Ermand responded immediately with a nod. "I know what's a Para-individual."

"Good. The new you is completely invisible except for you. With this, you can actually find your crystal without being caught by any beasts while hiding your other body somewhere safe-"

"Charles Daller."

Both of them gasped as Charlie's name was uttered by Professor Oscar Qorder. Charlie strolled to one of the burrows straight to him and crawled inside after giving a curt nod to Ermand.

"Ermand Chisel."

Ermand gulped and drew a long breath. He walked to the burrow that was far away from the glance of the Professors. He observed the hole before inserting his leg inside it. The sides of the burrow were covered with straws. Ermand pushed down his lower part of the body by giving force with his hands that were gripped on either side of the hole.