Chapter 33 : Charlie's preparer

The minotaur raised its axe high above it and lashed the axe at Ermand, snorting loudly

"Vertella vertaine!" He cried at the top of his voice with one of his hands against the monstrous creature.

A spark that arose from the air near to Ermand's palm plunged into the bull's eye. The axe in his hands flew away from the grasp of the bull and landed somewhere far to Ermand. The creature groaned in agony and hid the right eye with its palms and fell onto the rocky ground, creating a massive thumping sound all over the tunnel.

"I'm sorry but I have to live too. I hope you'll be fine," Ermand said, panting. He somehow managed to get on his feet.

Thanks Emile.

The sides of the tunnel began to crumble. Ermand staggered toward an exit through which bright light shone into the tunnel. Even though it had only been a quarter of an hour, it felt equal to an hour for him. He's exhausted already.

The mouth of the tunnel ended with a cliff at its end. Ermand turned left and right for a way out.

Where is that crystal?

He leaned into the river that flowed deep down with bubbles formed at its surface. Ermand extended his hand. He felt warm and humid. Vapours were formed on his palm, warm water vapours. The river water is boiling.

He heard a strange screech that sounded as if it belonged to a bird.

What now?

Ermand revolved around, observing the environment around him with his feet rooted to the ground. His eyes descried a figure that was shorter than him. It climbed over the steepy rocks of the tunnel above Ermand. The green eyes of the creature penetrated into Ermand's eyes. He stood motionless, his eyes opened wide.

Why isn't there light anymore?

Something hopped onto his chest and pushed him.

It must be the creature! Why is everything dark?

Ermand realized he was falling only when the heat of the boiling river underneath him permeated into his body. Before he could cast the protection spell, Ermand was submerged into the hot water. Hot water rushed into his nostrils and choked him. He wiggled helplessly in the water. He tried swimming toward the surface but something twisted around his ankles and pulled him to the depth of the river. A burning sensation cropped up in the bridge of his nose as the water gushed into his nose.

Bubbles fled from his mouth and nostrils and he was slowly engulfed into the river bed by the seaweeds.

When he opened his eyes, his vision was obfuscated. He felt the presence of somebody sitting close to him.

I'm not drowned?

"What is your name, dear?" A woman's voice sang. She concealed his forehead with her palm and gently ran her finger to his earlobes.