Chapter 15 : New start

No, I shouldn't give in to it again!

Ermand tried to pull himself up straight and walked briskly to the bus despite the pain that was boiling inside him. Later, it slowly faded away but it left him frail.

When Ermand got back home, he found Mrs. Chisel waiting expectantly for him. Her face bloomed like the white lily flowers that grew at the side of their doorstep.

"So, how did your first day go?" she asked.

"Better than I expected. I probably might have a lot of things to share till supper," he replied, placing his satchel on the wooden floor.

"I've prepared lunch. Although Jack, Jason and Helmuth will be back by evening, I'm with you to celebrate this. Get a quick bath and join me in the kitchen," she said before strolling into the kitchen.

"Okay," Ermand agreed.

After taking a fresh bath that drained off all the weariness in him and joining Mrs. Chisel at lunch, Ermand busied himself by perusing into the book of rules and regulations that had been delivered to him by the knockman.

A Knockman is a person who delivers packages by appearing at your doorstep and disappearing from there after all the delivery procedures are done.

It was evening but Ermand was still engrossed over the book. Mrs. Chisel smiled when she saw him sitting before a book and reading it very carefully because Jack would never do anything like that. Not even on his first day to school.

"I just hope Ermie doesn't follow Jack's path," she told herself in a low tone.

Jack was the one and only naughtiest and good-for-nothing son for the Chisels even though he cares a lot for his favourite people. Every week, the Chisels receive a knocketer from the college stating his exhibition of great amusement at college. Meanwhile Jason manages to prove that he's a good boy at college even though he doesn't score much at exams. She was expecting the same from Ermand.

"Back home!" Jack cheered, opening the front door.

On hearing Jack's voice, Ermand closed the book and got up from his chair.

"How did it go today?" Jack asked, his voice sounded curious.

"I've got a ton of things to tell you."

"Cool!"

Jack swung around to put his satchel on the creaky wooden table.

"No way you're going to spoil Ermie too!" Mrs. Chisel shouted from behind.

"What do you mean by that? I'm not spoiling anybody."

"I've received this year's first knocketer today, and it doesn't talk high of you, again!"

A knocketer is a letter received from a Knockman.

Jack wrinkled his nose, and his eyes shrinked deliberately. Ermand stifled a laugh.