Chapter 9 : To the Grottin's hall

The boys flumped in their chairs after arranging them in a circle at the corner part of the Great hall

The boys flumped in their chairs after arranging them in a circle at the corner part of the Great hall. Ermand noticed his parents exiting the hall as well as others of children who failed to meet the criteria to be a part of Agledon, exiting the hall. The two boys Ermand recently met completed their interview before him and Timothy.

"Hey, Emile. What do your parents do?" Timothy asked.

"My parents are working at the Institute of Research and Development of Potions and Sprinklers in Galetope. And they're now--"

"That must be cool! They will get to have a check on all sorts of funny stuff right?" Charlie intervened, taking a sudden interest in their conversation.

"Uh...," Emile replied, readjusting his glasses. "Not funny stuff but more useful."

"They must've been chosen for the Inventions and Discoveries department then," Charlie guessed.

"Actually, they had double degrees."

"Double degrees!" Timothy and Charlie gasped, looking at each other in awe.

"Their primary degree was Inventions and Discoveries and for both my parents. Mom chose Healing for the secondary and dad chose Defense. They had received an Extent-one-one in college," he replied.

"What is that?" Ermand asked, who kept quiet all that time.

"It can only be called as Extent-one-one according to the rule of Phineas Thumber. Extent-one-one gives you the regal opportunity to raise your clanship status by one."

"So what's the other one for?" Timothy asked, twirling a toffee in his mouth.

"It is a complicated rule. In fact, I don't know about it very much. My parents denied that though."

"Why? You could've been a Vinn. You'll be called as Emile Vinn instead of the Waps clan as your surname," Charlie suggested as he leaned closer to Emile.

"My parents and I don't believe in clanship. They say it's a waste of time to rely on. They say that clan studies shouldn't even be in our syllabus."

"Did they say that in public?"

"No, Charlie. They would've been slaughtered..."

"Speaking of Thumber, do you guys know that there used to be a clan named Thumber before?" Timothy asked, nudging Charlie, (who was right to him).

"They topped the clanship, above the Qorders, right?" Charlie replied.

"Qorders..."

Suddenly Timothy gasped. The three boys turned their heads at him.

"What is it?" Charlie inquired.

Timothy pointed to a boy sitting opposite to them, who was surrounded with students. He had dark copper hair, just the same as his eyes and had a pompous smirk on his face.