Chapter 20 : A confidential meeting

Oscar Qorder glared at Ermand while Professor Chestnut continued his class, ignoring Ermand

"Chisel, I had a brief check on your profile." A vicious small grin appeared on his face.

He must've found it, and now I have no proof to show him, but there's still hope.

The High professor will help me with this, after all, he wrote the note...

Ermand returned a nod, that was only he could do. He remembered Oscar's words vividly more than anything.

The Professor smirked and lead Ermand's path into a large staircase which Ermand never climbed onto. The huge stairs turned around in a spiral way into another large hall that greeted them with silence. The hall was a junction to many archways to its sides. Straight to them, an unusual narrow stairs made of some other material other than the Rogiatum stone stood. It could only fit two people at a time.

Ermand quietly followed Professor Qorder to the narrow stairs, its path shone due to some unique crystals embedded on the walls. The stair seemed endless as they climbed for more than five minutes. At last, the stairs were getting wider and wider that ended at a grand door. It was a polished but old-seeming wooden door.

When both of them entered the room, the same sweet smell of burning candles rushed into Ermand's nostrils.

"Welcome, Ermand Chisel."

The voice belonged to Professor Zaugustus Lewcent. Somehow, half of Ermand's worry were wiped off with his presence. His voice felt pleasing to Ermand's ears.

"Thank you, sir."

"Sorry to interrupt you with your first class, but this is a serious case we need to discuss," he gestured to Ermand to sit on the cushioned chair straight to him.

A simple chandelier gave light to the small seeming large room with countless rows of bookshelves that nearly filled half of the space. The room looked empty despite the bookshelves.

There was a heavy table in the middle of the room and a teapoy, around which the high professor was seated. A brass kettle was brewing in the air.

When Ermand seated himself, he realized there weren't just the High Professorrofessor and the Qorder but several others were standing beside.

The kettle slowly flew toward his cup and poured hot tea.

"Sugar?" The High Professor asked with a genuine smile.

"No, thank you."

"Didn't have the privilege to drink tea with sugar." Ermand heard someone mutter, but he pretended that he didn't hear it.

"I'll come straight to the point," he said. "Is it true that you don't have a magic school certificate?" The smile on his face didn't fade away. He looked at Ermand in a fatherly way.