Ch 24: Yuan's Request, Missing Puzzle

Turn on the music to feel the vibe. ʕ•́•̀ʔ

**

Through the imperial exam, Master Yuan was carefully selected to handle the ministry of public works. His role: serve as a guidance and present his judgement to the emperor in terms of government construction projects, manufacturing government equipment, the maintenance of roads and canals, and the gathering of resources from the countryside.

To congregate and celebrate the successes, Emperor Jia Jing invites the notable ministers and bureaucrats to the festival. With that, only two other guests are able to join the invited persons.

Initially, I was relieved to hear that only two can join Master Yuan. After all, Madam Yuan would be the first to take the position. Considering Madam Yuan and Xi Ning would accompany the Master, I have no need to be present.

The day before the festival, however, Madam Yuan's left eye became so swollen, it looks like a bee stung her. She cry, only to realize crying worsens her condition. It was not pretty.

To my surprise, nothing occurs to Xi Ning. Not that I am wishing so, but in my book, the day before the Mid-Autumn festival is when Xi Ning accidentally drowns.

Following that, someone from the 21st century would transmigrate into her body. None of that is happening, apart from Madam Yuan's swollen eye.

I suspect another turning point.

With anxiety and frustration, I end up being dragged to the Festival by Xi Ning as part of the Yuan family. And here I am, sitting a distance close enough to see the appearance of the emperor, empresses consort, and empresses dowager. Every person who holds a governmental position has his own table, but the two guests sit together in another.

Soon after, everyone around the emperor greets and bows, "May the emperor live ten thousand years! Ten thousand years! Ten thousand times ten thousand years!" Upon the pardon, everyone sits back and awaits for food while chattering.

The servants soon place dishes of food on the tables; they look so delicious! Might as well savor my final meal.. I begin gobbling up the Hubei egg rolls and the roasted duck, following up with the mushroom dish.

As the people rejoice and become silent, the beat of the drums and music begin. Dancers with long sleeve swarm the center platform first, with the swords dancers following them.

I later observe the opera performance that is taking place in the center platform. Each phrase of singing is accompanied by a dance movement; the opera is interspersed with song-and-dance pieces.

My eyes scan around; a few tables ahead, I notice that Xu Kai is sitting alone on a table, to the right table sit a stern looking man. I assume that is his father, since he resembles an older version of Xu Kai. To the left table sit General Li, who is conversing happily with Xu Kai.

Momentarily, Xu Kai glances in my direction. I quickly dodge meeting his eyes, diverting my attention back to Xi Ning, who was speaking about something.

"Oh, yes!" I chuckle while wiping my forehead, "What's his butt, exactly. He needs to change his attitude. How horrible was he treating the servants," I blurt out, hoping to seem occupied.

Xi Ning stares at me strangely but concurs. She whispers, "Yes, I agree. That man is the Minister of Revenue; he tends to demand superiority over others. But sister, only say so quietly; If he hears you, you will suffer the consequences."

I nod and scratch the back of my head, "Sorry about that. I almost got us into trouble."

WAIT— I WASN'T EVEN TALKING ABOUT HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE!

"Minister Yuan, I applause you for your triumph in building the canal in the south. What is it that you would like me to reward you?" the Emperor says when the performance ends, staring at Yuan Zi Yan's father.

Master Yuan gets up and bows, "Thank you, your highness. If it is not a problem, I am hoping you can find a suitable match for my youngest daughter, Yuan Xi Ning."

I look towards Xi Ning, who holds a bitter expression. She knows about this? Did something happen when I was abducted?

The Emperor nods while stroking his beard, "Ah, yes. I heard that you have two beautiful daughters who are at a marriageable age. Coincidentally, our seventeenth prince has been on the outlook for a bride. Perfect match! I permit; the wedding ceremony shall take place in a week."

So soon? Is there a plot behind this?

Plus, Yuan Xi Ning is not supposed to be engaged with the seventeenth prince, but rather the prince regent.

There must be something I missed. The missing piece of the puzzle..

Master Yuan thanks the Emperor and bows in gratefulness, "Thank you, Your majesty. May the emperor live ten thousand years, ten thousand times ten thousand years."

I nudge Xi Ning by her elbow and mutter, "Did you have a say in this, Ning'er?" I glance at her, noticing her hands are shaking. I pat her on the shoulder, questioning to myself whether if she is emotionally stable.

Perhaps this was a shock to her too.

When the Emperor end the festival ceremony, he allows the governmental officials and their families to disperse. Almost every bureaucrat disappears or returns home; very few wanted to stay in this place where commoners usually congregate in.

I, on the other hand, is a commoner so I will take pleasure in attending these Mid-Autumn Festival events!