Ch 52: Accidental Fall, Poisonous Snakes

Quote of the Day:

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." - Plato

Music on to enhance the reading experience!

**

We split up in three groups: Rong Yi with Scholar Li, Xu Kai with Wan'er, and General Li with me.

We spoke for some time about our plan for the time being and what exactly it is we are looking for.

As General Li and I observe the eastern plains, I can't help but question what Xu Kai and Wan'er is doing at the moment. Strange thoughts are popping up in my mind.

I slap my face. No, Zi Yan. These perverted thoughts again.

"Miss Yuan," General Li taps me by the shoulder, "Are you alright?"

I break away from my thoughts, "Oh, yes. We should look over—"

Suddenly, we hear a scream originating from where Xu Kai and Wan'er was delegated to search.

We swiftly track down where they are. The other pairs heard the scream as well. By the time we all arrive at the spot, we see that Sir Xu and Wan'er have accidentally fallen off the pathway.

From afar, I can see that Sir Xu deliberately fell on his back, with his hand shielding the little lady's head to lessen her likelihood of head injuries. His other hand was wrapped around her waist to keep her stable.

We all safely travel down to where they fall. "Are you guys alright?" Scholar Li yells aloud as we head towards the two.

"Do you guys need any help?!" Rong Yi cups his hands together and bellows aloud.

Sir Xu releases his arm from Wan'er and gets up. "All fine," he says as he pats the dirt off his back and shoulders.

Wan'er grabs Sir Xu by his leg, "Co-Commander Xu.. Wan er's leg.. It hurts. Can you carry me?"

Xu Kai announces, "Wan'er seems to be in pain. Wu Lan Jun."

"Co-Commander! We were organized into a pair earlier. It's only right if you.." she pitifully murmurs. The healthy bloom in her rosy cheeks gives her an aura of innocence.

Xu Kai pretends as if he didn't hear what she said, signaling Wu Lan Jun to carry Wan'er. Imperial Guard Wu glances over to General Li first; General Li returns his stare and opens her mouth to say something but is interrupted.

Rong Yi crosses his arms, "Sir Xu, didn't Wan'er ask of you to carry her?" Rong Yi and Xu Kai shoots daggers at each other through their eyes.

Scholar Li rubs the back of his neck, "Why do I feel the mood suddenly became gloomy..?"

I clear my throat, "I agree with the Tenth Prince, Sir Xu. Wan'er asked of you to assist her. It would be best if it's you who help her and take her back to the cabin."

Sir Xu gazes at me for everlasting seconds. His eyes sharp and dim as he levels me with a disappointed stare. I meet his frustrated gaze, somehow feeling as though something within me break off and shatter.

He drops down and picks Wan'er up, scooping her legs up and holding her around the waist. She smiles while wrapping her arms around his neck and moving closer to him. I watch as they disappear, returning back to the log cabin.

General Li pats me on the back and whispers, "I am sure nothing will happen between them."

I tilt a smile, "General, their relationship doesn't bother me."

Don't lie.

Your insides are pretty bitter right now, if you'd just ask your natural impulses.

I sigh, "Let's all continue." We separate into our directions again. As General Li and I wander into the eastern plains again, I try to focus on the search instead of the way Wan'er presses herself against Sir Xu's chest. The way her eyes gleam at him. Their skin ship. The fact that they breathe in the same oxygen.

Somehow, the more I think about it, the more vexed I am.

C'mon, Zi Yan. Look out for strange imprints or clues! I scan around and around, proceeding to lift up a rock.

The presence of a pre-matured sized snake under the rock surprises me, "Little guy! What are you doing here?"

I gradually back out of its striking range, giving the snake a bit space to slither away. As it does so, I notice the color pattern of the snake. Red markings touch yellow.

Red on yellow..

..Kills a fellow.

Red on black..

..Friend of jack.

Good thing the random search engine recommended me some animal planet videos. I exhale with relief. Thank lord I didn't make sudden movements in the direction of the snake and remained calm.

Then I thought about it. Isn't it coincidental that there is a poisonous snake nearby when we are looking for poison itself?

It would be best to trail behind the snake before our clue slithers away. I call for General Li; we both follow the snake as it travels farther down the line. We wander through a strange path.

After some time, we reach a forest with difficult terrains to wander through. General Li slashes the bushes with her sword. Our eyes wander off the snake for one second and we lost it.

We reach an average looking tree with vines wrapping around it. Nothing special.

I brush my hand on the hard vines, noticing how hollow the space behind it is. I pierce my eyes into some gaps. Then I make way for General Li. With one hit, she slashes the vines, exposing a wide hole that leads into the unknown.

We use a steady and long vine as our rope. When we reach the bottom, General Li lights up a torch.

It is dark. It reeks of dead animals, blended with the smell of earth soil. I trail behind General Li, who seems to wander around in circles. Don't tell me we are wandering through a maze?