Ch 44: Master Qiao, Seven Children

Quote of the Day:

"It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get."  -Confucius

Enjoy this story? Please vote and comment ;)

**

We are now on our mission to the Hua Hin Place Inn.

I think back to asking Xiu Ying to have someone fake my identity in the Yuan Manor. Hopefully, all is alright..

Ugh. Heavy jewelry. An abundance of clothing.

Despite the cold weather, I am sweating under the layers of clothing, "Sir, how long will it be until we get to Jiang Nan?" I try not to touch my face, as it is embellished with powder.

I glance at Sir Xu again, amazed at how attractive he is dressed in informal clothings. I cannot help but laugh at the makeup applied purposefully to make him seem older. I cannot take his fake beard seriously either.

He replies, "Soon. You don't have any accessories. Here, wear this jade ring."

I nod, holding out my right hand with the palms down. He deliberately takes my hand, sliding the jade ring in my middle finger.

I giggle sheepishly, as I know that such action means more than what he thinks it means.

I do.

"You do, what?" He ponders, averting his attention to me.

I gasp as my eyes bulge out. Did I say that aloud? "Oh! It's nothing," I shake my head. "Thank you, Sir. I will take good care of this."

Upon arriving, we exit the horse carriage. Sir Xu lends me his hand, while I wander down the miniature stairs. At the moment, the sun has begun to set and night is falling upon us.

As I set foot on the city, I notice a completely different aura. Everyone seems to have a sullen look on their faces; this town is filled with despair.

"Shall we, wife?"

My heart skips a beat for a second before I realize that we are putting up an act. I smile as I wrap my arms around that of Sir Xu's, "Yes, husband."

As we enter the Hua Hin Place Inn, I feel an amalgam of emotions. Somehow I am apprehensive, yet the presence of Sir Xu reassures me. The Inn is almost as expanse as a mansion in the modern days, with several floors available for inhabiting.

"Customers, are you looking for a place to stay tonight?" A servant swiftly approaches us.

"Yes," says Co-Commander Xu, "We are looking forward to a 'surprise that brings tremendous joy in such a moonless night.'"

That's the code for the Secret Opium Business!

The servant experiences an epiphany, "Ah! Distinguished guests.. Right this way, Madam and Master."

He guides Xu Kai and me through several halls, past crowds of people who were gambling, eating, watching performers dance. People are cheering and conversing, challenging my ability to hear anything with clarity.

When I accidentally bump into someone, I lose sight of Xu Kai for a second. I swirl around, hoping to encounter him again. Panicking, I brush past a crowd of people in front of me, "Sorry."

"Hey— Watch where you're going!" A man with a large mole on his chin yells. Upon looking at me, his face softens. "My fault, Miss. Are you a performer here?"

I shake my head, "No. Pardon me, I am looking for someone." I turn to saunter away but his friend beside him grabs me by the shoulder, "Miss, why don't you stay with us here? We would like to learn more about you." He rubs his hand back and forth.

I scoff.

These two frivolous men wants to eat this Miss' tofu and take advantage of me? No doors!

I roll up my sleeves, ready to bawl. I turn around to face the two men, but a hand grabs me by the waist and pulls me back.

"Master Qiao. Age twenty seven. Happily married with a mesmerizing wife and seven beautiful children. Anything else you want to know?"

I glance up at the person behind me. Sir Xu!

He found me. He must have a dog's sense of smell.

The man with the mole coughs, "Let's go. The lady seems to have company already."

When the two man disappears, I burst into laughter. "Seven children?" I wipe my imaginary tears, "Thank you for helping me. Although, I could've helped myself if you just—"

His brows furrow, "Call my name next time. Such risk cannot be taken."

I nod and sigh, "Yes, yes. I understand."

The servant finds his way back to us again, "Distinguished Customers. Please follow me, this way." He points the direction we are meant to go.

Xu Kai's eyes stray afar but his left hand stretches out to me. I stare at his loose palm. "Don't tell me you're gonna make me wait for you," he exclaims.

A smile stretches across my face. I wrap my right hand over his left hand tightly, "Husband, you sure know the way to a woman's heart."

He smirks, "How do you think I ended up with you?"

When we finally reach our destination, there is an isolated and serene room. None of the voices from earlier are able to travel thus far.

The servant opens the door; we step inside. "The owner will be with you guys shortly, distinguished guests." After he disappears, I quickly let go of Sir Xu's hand and take a seat in the guest chair. Xu Kai does the same on the opposite side of me.

A man with a beer belly and wide face soon enters the room. His presence is accompanied by a strong alcoholic odor, "Customers, customers.  I heard you two would like to purchase our 'surprise,' no?"

Sir Xu converses with the man, alluding to how he is a wealthy merchant who heard from our business partners that Opium has grown quite popular lately. He and I plan to offer a high price for several grams of it.

The transaction appears to be proceeding smoothly and successfully for the next half an hour. We anticipate for the record of our purchase, with further details about the sale.

By the time we are about to be complete, the owner comments, "Strange. You guys say you have been married for quite some time now; yet, you guys don't seem to be that intimate."

Suddenly, chills run down my spine.

Are we going to be exposed?