Ch 61: Give Up One City for One Person, Give Up One Person for One City

Quote of the Day:

"To forgive is to set a prisoner free, and realize the prisoner was you." - Anonymous

How many of you listen to the music provided? I am actually considering taking out the music component of this story! :O

**

Time: A Week From the Thank-You Dinner.

Location: Interrogation Cell

Co-Commander Xu Kai has just completed interrogating a guilty merchant. Wiping his blood-filled hands on the clean towel, he exits the interrogation cell.

Another suspect who would rather be tortured to death than confess the truth. Life to the great majority is only a constant struggle for existence.

"Sir," Wu Lan Jun hands Co-Commander Xu a letter. "This letter was delivered from the Eighth Prince."

The Co-Commander tears the letter open, reading it shortly after. "Seems like the Eighth Prince knows we have our collective evidences already.. He is waiting in the Xu Manor."

Arriving back to the Xu Manor, the Co-Commander meets the Eighth Prince in the lobby. As usual, the Prince possesses a carefree and laid-back aura, as if nothing is a threat to him.

"Co-Commander Xu. Greetings to you," he says while expressing a subtle and condescending smile. The Co-Commander observes every movement of this heartless and cruel person, who has inflicted pandemonium across the city.

"Please," Sir Xu takes a seat, "Make yourself at home, Eighth Prince."

"Ah." Something flickered in the Eighth Prince's eyes: "It has been a while since I've seen Commander and Madam Xu. How have they been?"

Sir Xu feels his muscles relax a bit but nonetheless keeps his guard up. "Healthy. They are out in the base."

"I see. Very well then." the Eighth Prince continues, "I came today because it seems you have some very important things that belong to me." He momentarily expresses an oddly humorless grin, "Will you return them back to me?"

"Important things?" Sir Xu gingerly ponders, "I am afraid I am not sure what you are speaking about, Eighth Prince."

"There is no need to play foolish between you and me, Sir Xu."

"Again, I have no clue as to what you are insinuating." Sir Xu raises his brows, "Eighth prince, if you have nothing else to say, an Imperial Guard will lead you out. I have another mission to attend to immediately, as directed by the Emperor."

Xu Kai can practically feel the man vibrating, controlling his growing agitation. "You're using my father to threaten me?" He caws a laughter, "Co-Commander. As you sow, so shall you reap." The Eighth Prince reaches into his chest pocket, taking out a booklet.

"Two can play this game," he remarks while displaying the cover of the booklet, "This contains the transcript of all of the people involved with my activities. Can you guess who else is intertwined in this affair?"

"..."

The Eighth Prince flips through several pages, before a name and description is on display. "Oh? Minister Yuan?" He throws the booklet on the floor, next to Sir Xu.

..The Yuan Household?

It cannot be.

Xu Kai's mind flutter unpleasantly. Questions begin to crowd Sir Xu's mind--indeed, a million questions.

How can he make a rational decision now that he is facing a dilemma? 

How will Zi Yan react if he confesses to the Emperor that her family is guilty for engaging in corrupt activities?  Her entire family will be slaughtered, perchance even her too.

The Co-Commander sends a glare at the malevolent man before him.

"Now, now. Don't go looking at me like that, Sir Xu. Let's make a sweet deal. Why don't you hand over the written recordings? And.."

He begins to laugh uncontrollably, "..Make sure all of the evidences you have gathered are gotten rid of? Make sure those who can speak.. Can no longer speak anymore. Those who can see, can no longer see anymore. Those who can hear, can no longer hear anymore. You can even send me their heads. You have done such work before. Simple, right?"

..Simple?

As the Co-Commander of the Imperial Military Guards, it is normal to see his hands splattered with fresh blood. He can even describe the voices at night that would plead their innocence.

Five years ago, when the plan of attack and military thinking was leaked out by an anonymous military personnel, their enemies invaded a prosperous city that used to be filled with happiness. It ended the golden age. It ended the rapport in his family as well; after all, his sister was seized by the enemy's leading general.

The back up troops arrived too late, so they could have only protected one thing: the city or the person. With the Emperor's demand, they chose the city.

In the end, he couldn't do anything but blame himself and those around him for choosing the city over the person.

He never hoped anymore. Hope is the thing with chains. High hope is a puzzle with pieces that more often than not, just don't interlock.

And so, why did she appear?

Out of no where, Yuan Zi Yan enters his life and changes everything.

A boisterous person whose eyes sparkle with hope even when there is predicament. Her desire to succeed is greater than her fear of failure. She is able to solve problems no one else could. Where was she, when he needed someone like that the most?

Surely, she is an illusion. Someone who is too good to be true, but something he craved nothing more than to pursue.

..It never came to Xu Kai that he has to surrender to the man who plotted leaking the plan of attack again.

"Make your choice, Sir Xu. Will you give up one person for one city? Or give up one city for one person?"

No, not again. This time, he won't surrender.

Sir Xu inhales a deep breath, "Imperial Guard Xuan.. Go retrieve the written recordings."

The Eighth Prince claps slowly, "Why, even the hero becomes a prisoner of love."

**

Block of Time: Noon

Location: Imperial Palace

"Your Highness," Imperial Military Guard Wu hands someone a written recording, "Here is the written recording you asked for. I swapped this real one  from Sir Xu's secret room with a fake copy."

A man with a solemn expression takes the recording, "Wu Lan Jun, you have been secretly working under me for the past eight years. Loosen up a bit."

"Yes, Tenth Prince." Wu Lan Jun hesitates to speak, "It's just.. Would it not be a bit cruel to do this.. to Miss Yuan?"

The Tenth Prince wears a melancholic smile again, "I have waited for this moment to revenge for my mother. All this time, I hid and was a nobody in the imperial palace. I faked and was something everyone can step on. Now is my chance.."

"Zi Yan.." He softly brushes his lips on a handkerchief that has the word "Yan" imprinted on it. "Please forgive me, for you would have made the same decision."