Ch 35: Stalker Zi Yan, His Majesty's Offer

Music on to feel the vibe!

**

After we allow Xiao Liang get comfortable and adapt to an orphanage that is known for its success stories, we sorrowfully decide to depart.

We wave goodbye to Xiao Liang, who I thought would chase after us. But, he seems to be playing with the toys and conversing with the other children already.

Never mind that. I am just glad he is happy.

Upon arriving at the Yuan Manor again, I wave my farewells to the others. Rong Yi blows his nose into his handkerchief, "Zi Yan, it is a pity I have to return and check in with my clan members. I will visit you as soon as possible!"

General Li smiles, "Thank you for the help, Miss Yuan."

Xu Kai raises his brows at me, "Don't sleep on other men in a carriage next time, Zi Yan."

Rong Yi chokes blood, "Sleep on other men?!" He wheezes and gasps in shock, "You call her Zi Yan?! Y-You! Co-Commander Xu, you are crossing your boundaries! What did you do to our Zi Yan!"

I laugh nervously, "I accidentally fell asleep on Sir Xu's shoulders. I apologized, of course!"

"You what?! No, our precious Zi Yan would never do that. Co-Commander, you must have manipulated the situation!" While the horse carriage sets off, Rong Yi continues to complain and chastise Sir Xu, who relaxes and seems to be satisfied.

General Li waves me goodbye with a grin again, "Take care!"

Upon entering the Manor and greeting Master and Madam Yuan again, they seem to be quite infuriated that I come back this late.

"As the Yuan Manor's Elder Miss, you need to act with propriety! You always hang out with the lady General and the brocade-clad members. What if you attract some trouble and bring misfortune to the Manor?" Madam Yuan crosses her arms in discontent, "Husband, I don't care. She needs to be taught a lesson."

Master Yuan looks at me, shaking his head, "I agree."

And so for the next week, I was assigned to complete work that servants and maids complete: wash the clothes, split the logs of wood, etc.

With consideration to filial piety, I accepted the tasks. Of course, as the wonderful villainess, I will not be pitiful and just let this be.

That is why the Deluxe 5-Gallon Wood Bucket Washer 5000 is born! With Xiu Ying's help, I have crafted a washing machine using two buckets, a basic lever, and several knobs. Upon rotating the lever, dozens of clothes can be washed within a short period of time.

"Oh, ho ho ho ho!" I laugh evilly like the villainess, "This type of work cannot pull me down!"

The next day, however, Xiu Ying relays a shocking message to me.

"Sir Xu is taking a visit to the Wanyan flower house? That is a place for—"

..Oirans and "women of pleasure."

"No, no, no. This doesn't match. Sir Xu isn't the type of men to.." I tap my chin, "Is it perhaps a mission? Perchance he's forced? Both? Maybe he secretly has a lover in there?"

I shake my head, "I need to check it out myself."

Xiu Ying disagrees, "It is improper for a lady to enter such place, Elder Miss. If you were exposed, it would certainly ruin your reputation."

I smile, "That's why... I will rely on this fake mustache."

As I saunter through the flower house, all sorts of ladies approach me. Swinging their fragrant handkerchief at my face, they all say something along the lines of "Handsome youth, would you like to spend your time with me?"

I question one of the ladies with a deep voice, "Have you seen the Imperial Guards' Co-Commander, Xu Kai?"

"That..." She glances at me, hesitating to proceed.

I dig in my pocket, whipping out a good amount of taels. Shaking the taels, I raise my brows, "Now will you tell me?"

She nods, "Yes, yes. Follow me, handsome."

When she leads me upstairs to an occupied room, I hand her the taels and she disappears momentarily. I quietly observe the paper windows, leaning my ears near the walls of the room.

"...Like always, it has been a good conversation with you, Sir Xu. I hope you keep your eyes and ears away from things that matter not to you," a mellifluous voice says with a hint of bitterness.

"I will keep that in mind, your majesty," Sir Xu collectively responds.

"Ah, right, Sir Xu. You don't come to places like this often, do you? Why don't I invite the most highly regarded oiran and have her accompany you tonight?" The superfluous voice sings, "You won't know how much you love it until you experience it."

I cringe in disgust, as I know what he is connoting.

Sir Xu clears his throat, "I thank you for your offer, but there is no need, your highness."

"Oh?" The man utters a noise that indicates his interest, "You seem a little flustered. Don't tell me, you already have a lover?"

Sir Xu's voice softens, "Surely, you know how to jest, your highness."

The man chuckles, "Then stay, Co-Commander. Better yet, rest here tonight. Count this on me. Here, have a drink."

Sir Xu's tone sounds apprehensive but nonetheless firm, "Your majesty—"

"Give me some face, will you, Sir Xu?"

Then, there is a pause and I hear two cups clash against each other. They must have had a drink. That was tense.

"Well, it is about time I go. You stay here and wait for the beauty, will you? Enjoy her, Sir Xu," speaks the man. The footsteps appear to become closer. He's exiting the room!

I quickly run and hide in the opposite corner, pretending to walk away. After several minutes, I look back and the man is gone.

Safe!

I lean my ears in the walls again. Nothing.

I bend down even further and lean closer. Nothing.

Attempting to use more force this time, I lean my body in and..

I pushed the door open?!

"Who's there?" Ponders Sir Xu. Sitting in a crisscross position on the bed, he is facing the wall. I can only see his back.

Oh. I roll my eyes.

So he's already ready for the beauty, huh?