Ch 60: Thank You Dinner, Meaningful Gifts

Music on to feel the vibe?

**

We all sit down around the dinner table.

"Waaa... What a feast!"

Fried meat dumpling, roasted duck, steam stuffed buns, and more.. I haven't seen such a platter of food in a while!

With drool coming out of my mouth, I pick up my chopsticks. Come to mama!

General Li suddenly calls everything to a halt. "Ahem," she clears her throat and looks around the table. She counts aloud deliberately.

"One.."

"Two.."

"Three.."

At three, everyone pulls out something under the table.

"Surprise!"

I glance at the items in everyone's hands, all directed towards me.

"W-What's... this?" I glance from Xu Kai to Scholar Li, General Li, and the Tenth Prince.

"Today's dinner was prepared for you," starts off General Li. "You have been a great asset to us and we thank you so much for staying with us all this time."

Sir Xu speaks, "Scholar Li and I suspected that the Eighth Prince was behind of all of this, but without you, we would not have been able to confirm that suspicion. We managed to gather all of the evidences necessary to deem him guilty, with consideration to your help."

With a smile, Scholar Li enters the conversation. "We purposely asked the Tenth Prince to distract you today, while we prepared for the feast. We know you have had a difficult time through this, so we thought we would prepare you something. It's a bit simple.. but we hope you like it."

Rong Yi smiles, "Good job, Zi Yan. We are all proud of you."

"..."

"Everyone.." I wipe my tears away.

In the 21st century.. I never had that many friends, so as I grew up, I learned to be okay with just me.

I would lie to my mom when she asks if my friends would like to come over for dinner. The truth is, I didn't have any friends.

Before I dropped out of college, I always ate my meals alone. Truly, it was lonely. I longed for friends to share my problems with, for a group who would understand me.

"Gosh.. You guys.. Thank you for making my stay here worthwhile."

Scholar Li laughs, "You speak as if you will go one day."

"Ah," General Li says, "Every present means something deep within our hearts. Let's begin with Scholar Li."

General Li hands me a mini basket, filled with small boxes. "I decided to gift you some beauty products." He points to the wooden boxes, "I included Bei Qi, Huang Qi, and Goji--quintessential herbs for revitalizing tired skin and improving skin clarity. In the copper boxes, I made sure to provide some hand cream for your crusty skin too. Based on your hands, I would not tell you are a Minister's daughter!"

I express a laughter, "Thank you for your kind consideration, Scholar Li."

Scholar Li nods, "That wasn't a compliment, by the way. Anyways, I call them 'Little Li Boy's Herbal Beauty Products That Will Make You Shine and Cry in Happiness Because the Guys You Favor Will Finally Like You Back.' Based on the title, you can tell my products are very effective and rare."

General Li frowns, "That's an awfully long title you got there, Scholar Li."

Scholar Li scoffs, "General Li, you're just bitter that you didn't get my 'Little Li Boy's Herbal Beauty Products That Will Make You Shine and Cry in Happiness Because the Guys You Favor Will Finally Like You Back.'"

The Tenth Prince clears his throat, "Why don't we continue with the presents?" Now, it's Rong Yi's turn. He hands me a wooden tray. There is a silk, embroidered cape folded within the tray. I observe the grandeur features and qualities of the cape.

"Zi Yan, you said you wanted a custom cape when we were small, so I thought I'd get you one today. May your life be filled with prosperity and happiness," states the Tenth Prince.

I smile, "That's very generous and kind of you. This must have been fairly expensive."

General Li rests a blue silk embroidered sachet pouch on my hand. The design: two birds are resting on a tree branch, next to their nest. The word Home is located atop the birds.

She announces, "Home is not a place, it's a person.." She was about to continue but Scholar Li scoffs, "General. Are you calling me homeless?" General Li sends an annoyed glance towards Scholar Li, causing him to obediently shrink back.

Proceeding with her conversation, she exclaims, "Like I was saying.. Home is people, not a place. Considering this embroidered sachet pouch, I am hoping that you can find comfort and feel at home with us."

"General Li.. I am grateful to take such thoughtful present."

After General Li, Sir Xu hands me a porcelain trinket box.

Upon opening it, I see a thin silver bracelet with an intricate pink hydrangea charm dangling from it. "Pink hydrangea flower.."

"You seemed to really like the flower, so now you can always have one by your side."

My face blossoms into a grin, "Sir.. You noticed. I will cherish this lots."

"Frankly, I am feeling as though this is my second home already. To that, cheers." I raise my glass. Everyone does the same.

"Dinner!"

"Wait," claps General Li, "Wu Lan Jun contributed to our mission as well. Would it not be proper to invite him into the dinner table as well..?"

I nod, "That is true.. He's guarding the entrance."

Sir Xu beckons Wu Lan Jun to enter, "Join us, Wu Lan Jun."

Wu Lan Jun hesitates for a second, but becomes relieved when he sees General Li patting the chair next to her. "You deserve it, Imperial Guard Wu."

After dinner, I somehow end up teaching everyone how to play the game "Never Have I Ever."

Everyone is now sitting side by side. "We will go around in a circle and say the things we have never done. Each person will start with three fingers up and will put a finger down if he or she has done that thing."

Rong Yi begins, "Never have I ever.. Peed my pants when I was ten years old."

I look around. No one put his or her finger down except Rong Yi. He sighs, "I guess it's only me..."

"Tenth Prince!" I slap my forehead, "That's not how you play the game!" I continue to explain the rules until I ensure everyone understand.

Next: Scholar Li.

"I got a good one! Never have I ever..." He evilly smiles and wiggle his brows at us, "Kissed someone in this group."

"Aish.." I dodge stares with my free hand as I lower one of my fingers down. Sir Xu lowers one of his fingers following me.

General Li did too.

She sights that Wu Lan Jun's fingers are still up; she deliberately lowers his index finger. Imperial Guard Wu's eyes turn towards her; he holds a seemingly stupefied expression.

"O-O-O-OHH.. WHAT'S THIS?!" Rong Yi gasps, much to his astonishment. He gets up and points at us. "Why-- All four of you-- What is going on!"

Scholar Li claps his hand exuberantly with laughter, "I knew it!"