Chapter 23: We

James

It's nearly midnight when I leave my office. I stop in front of Mercedes' room. Why is she doing this? Can't she see how hard this is on me. I try very hard not to open the door. I wonder how peaceful Mercedes will look sleeping on her bed. Her blonde hair spread over her pillow and her beautiful body between the sheets.

"Baby" Cathy's soft voice says from across the hallway. Her soft hands rub my back as I sit on the edge of the bed. She starts kissing my neck her hands travel down my arms. She stops and looks at my hands. Her eyes meet mine and I can see the worry in them. "We're back to fighting now." she said with sadness in her blue eyes. "Cathy I'm sorry. It won't happen again" I said and she moved away from me.

"I've heard that one way too many times before" she said going into the bathroom. She open the cupboards. "Cathy. Babe please" I said holding her hands. She looked into my eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks. She placed one of my hands on the sink as she started cleaning the wounds. "James, you were doing so well. What's going on" she asked.

I looked in the mirror trying to figure out what lie to tell her, but I had nothing. "I don't want to go back to having sleepless nights because of you. I want to go to bed with you becide me." she said not making any eye contact. "I'm sorry" was the only thing I could manage to say. As I lifted her head, forcing her to look at me, I saw the pain and hurt in her eyes.

The same hurt she had every night in the past. Before Mercedes.

That was really a rough patch for both of us. And I promised it would never happen again. And here I am again, breaking another promise I made to her. I pulled her head to my chest as I kept apologizing in guilt.

Mercedes

I try to silently walk back to my room as I feel my feet lose balance under me. I fall onto my bed as I think about what Cathy just said. Then I realized that I don't know James at all. The way she discribed his behavior in the past had me thinking.

I could hear the pain in her voice as she cried. And James remained quiet. Confirming everything Cathy was saying is true. Who is James really?

...
I'm woken up the alarm I set on my phone. As I switched it off I read the notifications. To my surprise Matthew's name was on the screen. "Goodmorning gorgeous" the message read. We had hardly been talking for three days and already he was using words like 'gorgeous'.

I had no intention of being in a relationship but he was the only guy who actually listened to what I had to say without being nonchalant and self centered.

And consequently he caught feelings for me.

As I put on my robe I heard James and Catherine coming out of their room. They both died in laughter as they made their way to the kitchen.

Before leaving the room I put on my fake smile and my fluffy slippers. As I walked down the stairs I found James bending Cathy over the kitchen counter as he stuck his tongue down her throat.

As I entered the kitchen I cleared my throat. Cathy smiled at me as she came out of their kiss but James flexed his jaw as he gave me a death stare. "Morning" I said with a smirk as James looked away dismissively. "Good morning Mercedes" Cathy said squeezing my shoulder.

"Aren't you going to work" I asked her as I noticed she was still in her pijamas. "No. My friend is throwing this party and you're coming" she said smiling to both James and I. "Thank you but I'd rather not" I without having second thoughts. The last thing I want is to be the odd one out between James and Cathy's snobbish friends. And the fact that I'm pregnant only makes it worse.

"You can't stay in the huge house all day anymore. It's time you got out and met people" she says with pure excitement in her voice. I look at James who is probably dying in laughter then back to Cathy. "I know a couple of hot guys" she says bumping me with her elbow. As she says that James' slight smile immediately fades away.

"Omg Cathy you won't stop will you" I say in a sarcastic laugh. "Nope" she responds clearly not sensing my sarcasm.

...
I rush out of my shower as I hear somebody knock on my door. I nearly fall as I run across the wooden floor. "Coming" I say as wrap my towel around my body. I expect to find a smiling Cathy on the other side of the door but to my surprise I find a half naked James with only a towel wrapped around his waist. My eyes travel from his defined chest, over his firm six pack. I feel my lips twitch as I follow his v-line and I find myself wanting to see more.

I'm snapped out of my day dreaming as James hands me a white box. "Thought you'd look nice in this" he said as I looked at it. When I looked back up to him I find his eyes focused on my breast. "What is it" I say as a tingling sensation moves through my body stopping right between my legs.

"Just wear it, okay?" he said in a raspy voice as he looked at me. "Okay" I said in almost a whisper. I felt both our breathing get heavy as we stood looking at each other. "Alright. We're leaving in an hour" he said as he walked back to his room. I stood for a second admiring his back muscles as I found myself missing his presence.

I placed the baby blue box on my bed as I untied ribbons around it. Inside the box I found a white lingerie thong with a matching bra. I wore them. As I looked in the mirror they cover nearly nothing. The bra had absolutely no support and I could see my nipple right through.

A smile appeared on my face as I emagined James standing in front of me smirking. I must admit, I do miss him. So fucking much.

Inside the box was another dress. A white strapless dress. I sat tight hugging my body perfectly, sitting right above my knees. And under the pair of Louboutin sandals he left a note. 'You changed my life' the note read with a heart at the bottom.

As walked out of the room I found James dressed in a pair of skinny jeans, Jordans and a plain white shirt. He licked his lips as his eyes traveled down my body. As he noticed I'm blushing his mouth turned up in a smile. "Cathy's just finishing up" he said as he licked his lips again. "Ok" I responded as I fiddled with my matching Birkin.

"You look beautiful" he said taking his hand through his hair. And the tingling sensation starts again. "Thanks. You look good too" I say as Cathy walks out of her room.

"You look beautiful" Cathy said as she held my shoulder pulling me in for a hug. "Okay you two. Let's go" James said as he walked away with a smile.