Chapter 26: 2AM

Mercedes

It was nearly midnight and James and I had been halfway through our third movie, when McKenzie came stumbling through the door with Cathy in his arms. "McKenzie bro, what the fuck" James said as he rushed through the door. "Man I just came from work. I found them both passed out on the couch" he responds.

I sit next to Cathy as he puts her on the couch. "I'm sorry man. I don't know what's going on Becca has been acting off as well lately" he says looking at James. He gives me a wave and a look of confusion before walking to the door with James.

After McKenzie leaves James takes his hand through his hair. He gives a stressful sigh before looking at me.

James

I wipe Cathy's mouth as she stands up from in front of the toilet bowl. She gives me a smile as I finish wiping her face. She puts her arm around my neck as I lead her back to bed.

"Babe" she says in a raspy voice. "Yeah" I whisper back as I sit next to her. "Do mind getting me another glass of water" she asks for nearly the seventh time. "Sure" I respond giving her a kiss on the forehead.

As I  place the cup of water on the table I take a seat on the island chair. I take my hand through my hair as I think of what the hell I should do with Cathy.

"James" Mercedes' tiny voice says. I look up only to find her standing in front of the island with her curious eyes. I tap the chair next to me and she walks to sit on it.

"Are you okay? You've been walking around the house all night" she says looking me in the eye. "I'm okay Merc" I say giving her a smile and rubbing her chin. "It's okay no to be okay James" she says holding my hand in hers. "Cathy's been sick all night. I don't know what the hell to do" I respond standing up.

"Maybe you should take her to the hospital" she said rubbing my back. "I'm just scared of what the doctor might say" I say looking at her. "Cathy is a smart woman, she thinks before making decisions" she responds.

"Look, even if it's really bad, at least you can say you did everything in your power to save her. She needs your bravery right now" she says convincing me.

I grab a few of Cathy's stuff and put them into a bag. Mercedes helps me carry them to the car as I carry Cathy. She kisses Cathy on the forehead before shutting the door.

"Thank you" I say as I bring her to my lips. I feel her mouth turn up into a smile as I kiss her. "Good luck" she says kissing me on the cheek before going back into the house.

...
I've been sitting beside Cathy's bed since they've admitted her. The doctor said she overdosed on some shit that I can't even remember. The only thing that was going through my mind as she said that was why the fuck would she be so irresponsible.

Cathy doesn't even know the fucking difference between vodka and tequila. She grips my hand tighter as she wakes up. "James" she says as the doctor walks in. "Glad you're awake" he says as he looks at us. Cathy smiles before looking at me. Her face drops as she sees I'm not smiling back.

"Catherine we just have to run a few tests before we discharge you" he said as he checked the machines. "I know you're expecting a baby. So if you'd like to discuss any issues with your gynecologist, you're more than welcome. I know pregnancy can be very tough especially when it's a..." I cut him off. "No thanks. Our pregnancy is none of your business. And for both you and the gynea expect a phone call from your boss soon because I don't think our news is supposed to be roaming around the hospital like this" I say and his face turns red. "Sorry sir. Your news doesn't roam around doctor Crompton is my wife" he says gesturing to his name tag. "I don't give a fuck. She should know about doctor-patient confidenciality." I say before leaving the room. As I walk out of the room I hear Cathy apologizing to him.

'I'm so frustrated and angry right now.' I text Mercedes as I stand in the hallway. Before I can put my phone back in my pocket it vibrates. 'I know but be patient with her. :-(<3' she said.

-----------------
This chapter was really short (sorry) but the actual climax of the book is about to start. I'm so excited to share the next few chapters and get your feedback. Things are about to get really hectic and heated ^o^

Please vote and share your opinions and excitement in the comments x.