The Sickness

Izuku's POV

   I keep seeing small visions of the kitsunes and even in my dreams, they appear, saying that we'll meet very soon. Although, I didn't trust the visions or dreams, I was really desperate. I wanted to see them again, I wanted an actual answer, and I was hopeful.

   I was hopeful that there was a different reason on why they left me. I was hopeful that I would be able to laugh and spend my time with them like I've always did before in the past. 

   To be honest, I didn't live a very hard, depressing life. I had it fairly easy throughout my life. Living without a father was hard, getting bullied by Kacchan was hard too. But considering how much blessings I had and how much love and happiness I got, the hardships are nothing.

   I'm just being a baby right now. I knew that I was just trying to deny the fact that the kitsunes were gone...But I accepted the fact now.

   I felt very empty afterwards, I've visited my mother a few times but it seemed like she was getting sick every time I visited her. She was very pale, thin, and her eyes seemed lifeless. Her lips were dry and pale, they didn't have the usual color. Her hair was messy as well and by what it seemed, I don't think her eyesight is okay either. She seemed very weak and it concerned me.

   I've asked her several times what was wrong and she refused to tell me. So I decided to settle in with her instead of her living alone, it would be best for me to stay with her.

   Anyways, today I had made an appointment with the quirk doctor to see something about my quirk. 

   Like the only quirk that was working for me was the kitsune quirk. The other two quirks seemed to grow weaker by day and the Crystalis quirk had already stopped working for me. It was truly weird and concerning for me.

   Not to mention that my appearance was changing too. My hair is starting to grow naturally white and my eyes are slowly changing into a gold color. A mark appeared on my face not too long ago and ears, tails, and fangs are growing out. 

   Also, my sickness has gotten better. I stopped throwing up blood, my headaches started to cease, and my body felt more energized. It was almost as if I was back to normal again. It was like the disappearance of the kitsunes just made me into a new person.

   Or perhaps it was the strand of All Might hair that I ate that helped me recover from the sickness...Either ways, I'm feeling so much better now and the control over my quirk is getting better.

Time Skip

   "Hello, Dr. Susumu." I said, smiling as I opened the office door. 

   Dr. Susumu was the head doctor of the hospital that my mother went to. He's really friendly and nice, and also knows a lot about quirks so he often gives me check ups. I told him about the vigilante stuff and work I'm doing and he has accepted it. He feels like a family member to me and it felt nice to know that I had someone to lean on.

   "Hello, are you here for you mother's check up today?" He asked, smiling at me from his desk. 

   "Yes, but I'm also here for a quirk check up. I've been seeing some problems so." I chuckled as I helped my mother sit.

   I frowned when she almost fell down from her chair. She couldn't even see me anymore so my concerns are growing everyday. She had hearing issues, she couldn't feel anything, and sometimes...she even forgot my name. 

   It hurt me so much to see her like this and I've been trying to do everything I could to help her, but not even the best doctors of Japan knew what the sickness was. Dr. Susumu has been giving her medications, which helped, but neither did he know what is wrong with her.

   "Okay, your mother's sickness is getting worse." Dr. Susumu sighed. "I can see that it's getting worse by day and at this rate, she won't make it."

   "...Is there really no cure for it?" I asked.

   "It's not that...If we knew what the sickness was, we would have done everything to help." Dr. Susumu said. "But, from every single one of the examinations that we did...It shows up that your mother is perfectly healthy. There isn't one single disease that's harming her."

   "Then, what do you think is causing this?" I asked, staring at my mother.

   "Well, I'm not quite sure but I've heard of quirks that make people sick...that could be the case but the results of the medical tests show no signs of quirk problems." Dr. Susumu said, showing me the medical files. "It could be that we don't know about the disease your mother has and because of that, we can't do anything to help her. One wrong decision and it could cause much harm to her health."

   "...I understand...Thank you for helping us though." I smiled sadly. "It means a lot to us."

   "Don't thank me...Everybody would do the same thing." Dr. Susumu smiled, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Now let's get to your quirk check up."

   I nodded and sat in the office next to my mother. Dr. Susumu went out to get some stuff and shortly came back with a few files. He also took me to test my quirks and just a short medical examination. 

   Once we were back in the office, he went through the files. There was a long, awkward silence and I could see from his expression that something was wrong. Seeing his concerned expression made me feel very nervous. He opened his mouth only to close it again and sighed. 

   He looked at me very seriously, seemingly looking for the right words to say the news. He just stayed silent for the next few minutes, which made me more anxious. 

   "Okay...Is there something wrong? Am I sick like my mother too?" I asked, getting tired of the silence.

   Dr. Susumu shook his head and handed me the files. Both the old and new ones about my quirk. He still seemed to be thinking of an easy, nice way to say this because I could see how troubled he was.

   In the old files, it read that I had three quirks. It stated the type and powers of the quirks, drawbacks, and cautions I should take just in case.

   In the new files...No words could express how shocked and confused I was.

   "Dr. Susumu...This is a joke right?" I looked up from the files, staring at the troubled doctor. "This can't be true. There's no way that this could be true."

   "I'm sorry, Izuku, but...It's true. I'm having a hard time figuring this out myself." Dr. Susumu said, massaging his temple. "There's no possible way that it is true...Something like this has never happened before."

   "I don't understand." I said, confusion clouding my head.

   "I don't understand either...But you do know that the test results are true." Dr. Susumu said, trying to calm me down. "I'm very sorry and puzzled to say this..."

   I was still trying to process everything. I could read the files and I knew what it meant...But my brain decided to shut down on me. Dr. Susumu's hand grabbing my trembling hand broke me out of my trance.

   "Izuku...You're quirkless."