Death

Izuku's POV

   It's been a month since I've been classified as quirkless. I'm more confused than devastated.

   After all, I still can use my kitsune quirk. It's actually working quite well. It's just the other quirks that aren't working that well. So, I've been training by myself at home with the one quirk that would work for me. I'm not sure if I should call it a quirk anymore.

   It's just like a part of me now. It's almost like I'm no longer a human.

   Other than that, everything's been stressful for me. My mother's health, money issues, and even the smallest things are stressful for me. Some people have been spying on me and I can't go anywhere public without wearing a disguise because people notice my weird appearance.

   I sighed, pulling on a really thick, large hoodie. I put on a mask and left the house. I locked the door behind me, leaving to go to the pharmacy to buy some medicine for my mother. I really had to be careful not to get caught.

   "Excuse me, I'm here to buy some medicine." I said, looking towards the person at the counter. "For Inko Midoriya."

   The woman looked at me and asked some questions. After confirming some stuff, she nodded and went into a room. She came back not so l

   "Okay, we'll have your medicine ready after a few minutes." The woman said. She went back into the room, coming out after a few minutes with a bag in her hand. "Here's your medicine."

   I paid her and left the pharmacy, going to the market afterwards. I bought some fruit and other ingredients. Then I bought a necklace for my mother, just like how she bought one for me before, the one I used for the contract with the kitsunes. I still have the necklace, just that it's hidden away so it doesn't bring back bad memories.

   I walked back home, silently rethinking about everything that has happened. Although, I felt like I have gotten over it, I guess I truly can't stop thinking about how the kitsunes left me. The quirks are confusing, my mother's sickness doesn't seem to get any better, and the money issues with me not having a job and my mother getting more sick, it's just so stressful.

   I sighed for like the umpteenth time today and unlocked the door. It was oddly quiet but considering my mother's condition right now, I shook it off. 

   I closed the door behind me, locking it again, and going to the kitchen to make my mother some soup. When I finished it, I poured some in a bowl and took it to my mother's room with some water and side dishes on a tray.

   I also took the necklace to give it to her as a present, in hopes that it would help her keep some memories. I smiled to myself as I opened the door to her room.

   "Mom, I made your favorite soup." I said, looking towards my mother. "Mom?"

   I looked a little bit more closely, only to see that she laid on her bed, motionless. I dropped the tray I was holding and the food spilled everywhere. I walked towards my lifeless mother. Seeing her dead eyes staring into thin air made my heart shatter. 

   I was in denial. But the moment I felt her cold hand, I knew that it was true. No matter how much I wanted to deny it, I knew so very well that she was dead. 

    I felt tears fall down my face and soon, I was crying my heart out. I didn't even realize that I was on the floor, all I knew was that my mother was dead. The only parent that I had while growing up, the only person who supported me all the way, the one person I knew I could rely on, was now dead.

   And what killed me the most was that I couldn't have been the son she would've wanted for me to become. I've only disappointed her, becoming a vigilante, leaving UA, and burdening her with my personal problems. 

   She did everything she could for me and all that I have been was a burden...And now...She's gone.

   "I'm sorry, Mom...I'm sorry."

Akari's POV

   I was staring at the fox marble. Izuku's mother had passed away and I was crying as well. I may have not  known her very well but she had treated me very nicely and like I was her own son every time we met each other.

   Kitsunes weren't supposed to cry for humans, a rule that was set centuries ago by the first kitsune keeper, but I couldn't help but let out a few drops of tears.

   "Bro, what-" Ikari stopped when she saw the fox marble. "W-What is this?"

   "It's exactly what it's showing..." I said, blinking a few times. 

   "T-That can't be...W-Wasn't she healthy the l-last time we saw her?" Ikari stuttered. "It wasn't even t-that long ago! There's no way she's-"

   Ikari got cut off by Chieko coming in.

    "There's no way she's what?" She asked.

   I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't get myself to say it. I just motioned towards the marble and Chieko fell silent.

   I turned away, mostly to hide my tears, but also because the sight was so painful to see. I could hear more kitsunes coming in and each of them started to cry when they realized what was happening.

   "H-How is this so?" Tsuneo asked. "Wasn't she perfectly fine the last time we saw her?"

   "Same question." Kaede said. Although, I could see that he was deeply troubled and sad by her death, he was hiding it fairly well. "She was healthy like a few months ago."

   We had a few moments of silence and mourning. A few of them went away to their own rooms to get some time alone and accept the fact, I guess. 

   I just sat there, crying, and Kaede and Ikari tried to calm me down. That went on for quite a while but I calmed down soon enough.

   "So, any idea why that might've happened?" Kaede asked, not even turning to look at me. I guess that also shocked him quite a bit.

   "No...It could've been a test by the kitsune keeper..." I mumbled, eyes stinging from all the crying that I just did.

   "Well...We kitsunes aren't allowed to kill humans, remember?" Ikari said. 

   "Oh, yeah..." I sighed. Then, I had this really sickening thought in my head. "Wait...Maybe..."

   "Hmm?" Kaede turned to look at me.

   "You know...Remember how Izuku was getting sick because of us..." I said.

   The other two nodded, looking at me as if asking me how that has to do with anything that is happening right now. I stayed silent for a few more moments, just to get my thoughts straight.

   "The cause of her death might be Izuku."